Huntsman Cancer Institute Plans to Install Labyrinth on Patio, Calls for Design Submissions

The Huntsman Cancer Institute Wellness and Integrative Health Center is planning to construct a labyrinth on the patient patio terrace, and it is taking ideas from anyone in the U community.

Shelley White, manager for the center, said they hope the construction “creates something inspirational for patients.”

Dating back to ancient Greece, labyrinths are a maze-like path designed to be a spiritual and healing experience. Labyrinths have become popular in hospitals as a way to provide therapeutic help to patients, families and caretakers.

Jan Byrne, an obstetrics and gynecology physician, is an ovarian cancer survivor and a member of the organization committee overseeing this project.

“The patient comes first at Huntsman,” Byrne said. “And we are trying to enhance their experience.”

Initially proposed by Byrne, the labyrinth has expanded to incorporate different aspects and collaboration from various departments. Annie Budhathoki, a licensed acupuncturist at the center as well as president of the project committee, said the goal of the contest is to have a patient-centered approach for the structure.

A grant donated by the Utah Ovarian Cancer Alliance, of the Wellness and Integrative Health Center, is sponsoring this project. It will incorporate U architecture students and the Architectural Nexus with help from various gardeners and artists.

The contest is open to design ideas from patients, family members, staff, caregivers and anyone affiliated with the U.

Submissions will be judged according to criteria that includes, but are not limited to, artistic design, feasibility and functionality. Certain considerations will be taken to include features like wheelchair access.

“Even a doodle from a child of a patient can be submitted,” White said. “And students from the architectural program will try to make it a reality.”

Design ideas are due by Dec. 31 and will be reviewed by a committee before selections are announced in April 2016.

Construction on the labyrinth is planned for summer of 2016 and will potentially finish before the fall.

Desired features are listed on the Huntsman Cancer Institute Wellness and Integrative Center’s website: http://healthcare.utah.edu/huntsmancancerinstitute/patient-care/clinics-and-care-teams/wellness-survivorship-center/patio-design-contest/

Submissions can be emailed to: [email protected]

@BeauHart13