“Spectre” Delivers a Spectacular Bond Adventure

Spectre Delivers a Spectacular Bond Adventure
Chris Samuels

It is easy to get hopes up for a classic character and storyline. Thankfully, the newest James Bond film, “Spectre,” did not disappoint. This film delivered incredible performances, a fantastic, complex plot, astounding cinematography and an impeccable film score, easily making this one of the best action films of the year.

MI6 agent, James Bond (Daniel Craig), takes off to complete another mission directed by the late M (Judi Dench) to end a threatening organization, SPECTRE. He enlists the help from his counterparts, Q (Ben Whishaw), Moneypenny (Naomie Harris) and his past rival’s daughter, Madeleine Swann (Léa Seydoux) to unravel hidden secrets. Meanwhile, Gareth Mallory (Ralph Fiennes), the newly appointed M, is fighting to keep the MI6 program still alive. Secrets of the past are revealed, sides are chosen and Bond returns as Bond, James Bond.

With Craig as James Bond, nothing can really go wrong. His solemn expression, lack of extreme emotion and swift crime-fighting skills make him the perfect candidate for a character as iconic as 007. Still, he isn’t the only one who displayed impeccable talent in the film. Whishaw as Q was impressively and easily one of the best characters of the film. It didn’t stop there — the rest of the cast also contributed to the overall success of the film.

“Spectre” definitely did not disappoint with acting, but that wasn’t the only notable element. The screenplay soared, being careful not to over-dramatize but, instead, making the world of James Bond believable. From the start, the film locks the audience in. The beginning scene, full of action and suspense, initiates the roaring train the rest of the movie rides. The plot, though complex, is easy to follow and full of thrilling moments. “Spectre” is a constant adventure that does not cease to excite.

The film is careful to keep to the Bond style, which was never really a concern in the first place. But it is still refreshing to know there was definite effort put in. “Spectre” is full of suspenseful moments, witty dialogue and Bond-like action.

The cinematographer, Hoyte van Hoytema, deserves an award. Each scene is artistically designed with spectacular color and remarkable lighting. With every shift of the camera, there is something striking that makes the scene stand out. As the camera pans out to view larger landscapes, the color and image remain prominent. Even if the film turned out to be a flop, the cinematography would have been enough to save it. It would be easy to take a picture of every scene and use it for a painting over the fireplace. Each scene is beautiful, striking and picturesque.

Filled with loud, recognizable sound, James Bond movie music makes sure the audience is entertained. And the score for this film was no different. The score, full of jazz and blaring trumpets, kept the movie exciting and familiar. It kept the pace of the movie and added to the “little something extra.”

“Spectre” is definite must-see.