Women’s Basketball: Utes Top South Dakota 67-59 in Roberts’ Home Opener

The Utes extended their winning streak in home openers to six straight on Friday night with a 67-59 victory over the defending Summit League conference champion South Dakota Coyotes.

Utah entered the season with a chip on its shoulder following a Pac-12 conference worst 3-15 record last season, and it certainly made a statement with a win over a fundamentally sound South Dakota team.

“I was really proud of them, of their toughness,” said head coach Lynne Roberts of her Utes. “We beat a really good team that we have a ton of respect for. Did we play the best we could play? No, but we found a way to win.”

The game hung in the balance all the way until late in the fourth quarter when Tanaeya Boclair sent a Coyote layup soaring back into the second row. Where South Dakota had been slowly grinding away at the Utes, increasing its lead, Boclair’s block shifted the momentum of the game and sparked a 7-2 run for Utah.

“Potter helped me, so I helped the helper. It’s a big thing we focus on in practice.” Boclaid said of her big block.

While turnovers were a problem for the Utes early with 10 first-half turnovers, of which South Dakota got out in transition and scored 11 points on, Utah made adjustments at intermission and only turned the ball over three times in the second half.

Malia Nawahine stepped up big for Utah as well chipping in a career-best 18 points on just 11 shot attempts after missing most of last season due to injury.

“I know what it feels like to sit on the bench and watch,” Nawahine said. “All last year I just wanted to play, so it was nice to get out there and play with my teammates.”

As the Utes pulled ahead late in the fourth quarter, South Dakota fought back and cut the deficit to just five. But with one minute to play, Paige Crozon put the nail in South Dakota’s coffin with a corner-three off of a Rodriguez drive and dish.

Next up for Utah is a home contest with Lamar on Tuesday. Tip-off is schedule for 7 p.m. MST.

@westinjay