Checking in with former Ute Delon Wright

Chris+Ayers
Chris Ayers

On the surface, some might think not much has changed for Delon Wright. He’s still playing basketball, just at a different level, so it seems to be more of the same.

The former U basketball star-turned-NBA first round draft pick still boasts a full set of corrective braces on his teeth, but laughs about it and says he’ll “get them off soon.” He still rocks Under Armour brand shoes on court, and at a distance, his number 55 jersey in the Toronto Raptors’ team colors of red, white and black could pass for a Runnin’ Utes jersey to the untrained eye.

However, the truth is things have changed a lot for Wright, especially on the court.

Drafted 20th overall by the Raptors last summer, Wright is learning to adapt to an unfamiliar role. After being honored with the 2014 Bob Cousy Award as the best point guard in college basketball last year, Wright finds himself firmly entrenched behind All Star Kyle Lowry and veteran Cory Joseph in Toronto’s point guard rotation.

It’s a big transition for Wright, who started every single one of his 68 games played for the Utes, averaging 35 minutes per game.

Thirteen games into his professional career, Wright has logged a total of 10 minutes in just four appearances. It’s a drastic change for Wright, but he remains resilient.

“It’s not too frustrating,” said Wright, before the Raptors’ game against the Utah Jazz Wednesday night at Vivint Smart Home Arena, his first business trip back to Utah as a pro. “I just have to wait my time, be patient, get better, use this time to try to get stronger.”

While Wright waits in the wings for his chance to shine at the professional level, Raptors head coach Dwane Casey knows Wright has what it takes to make it in the NBA.

“Delon is going to be an excellent NBA player,” Casey said. “He has all the instincts, size, ability, defensive ability to play right now. He’s just in a tough situation right now where he is playing between some pretty good players.”

Although, he has shifted his home from Salt Lake City to “The Six,” in Toronoto, Wright still keeps close tabs on his friends and teammates from his college days. He was even watching the Utes play on Monday night.

“I was yelling at the TV, it was crazy when they played San Diego State, it was a real intense game,” Wright said. “I was just so happy to see some of the guys stepping up in bigger roles.”

On the future of NBA talent coming out of the U, Wright is confident that head coach Larry Krystkowiak will continue to send Utes to the NBA.

“He does a good job,” Wright said. “He put us in an NBA-type system. I think we’ll have more draft picks.”

For the moment, Wright will continue to sit on the bench, but it’s only temporary. According to Casey, If he continues to keep putting in time and effort, it will eventually pay off.

“His future is going to be his, it’s just a matter of time,” Casey said. “He’s just got to keep working at it and keep his nose to the grind.”

@austinfacer