Swim & Dive: Utes Finish First Day at Mid-Season Meet With Two NCAA Qualifiers

Peter Creveling
University of Utah Swim and Dive team hosting BYU in the first swim meet of the season on Saturday, Septemper 26, 2015.

As the first day of the Arts Adamson Invitational in College Station, Texas came to an end, something seemed different. This year, the Utes’ mid-season meet had a different format: events swam during prelims were long-course, and events swam for finals were short-course. But, even with this change of events, the Utes managed to snag a first place, both in prelims and finals, and two NCAA qualifiers.

Senior Bence Király finished the first day of his last mid-season meet with a win under his belt, taking first in the 400-meter freestyle (3:54.06) during prelims and the 500-yard freestyle (4:16.79) during finals. Not only did he walk away with a first place finish, but he also secured a spot at the NCAA Championships, getting his NCAA-A time for the 500-yard free.

But he wasn’t the only one from his team who scored a spot at the NCAAs, as teammate senior Kristian Kron came in second behind Király, in both the 400-meter (3:58.77) and 500-yard freestyle (4:18.55).

Other highlights include senior Ashlyn Karosas, who qualified for the Canadian Olympic trials in the 200-meter IM (2:22.13), and sophomore Paul Ungur, who broke the school record in the 100-yard backstroke (47:54).

Divers Josiah Purss and Jake Crayne finished the first day placing sixth and eighth respectively in finals in the one-meter diving event.

With both swimming and diving points combined, the Utes are seeded third with 162 points, as Texas A&M leads the meet with 242 points.

The second session of the meet begins tomorrow with the 400-yard IM at 9:30 a.m. and the finals will commence at 6 p.m.

@emileewhiteee