U Asks for Student Input on OSH Redesign with Block U Chalkboards

Picasa

“Beer in the vending machines!” is boldly written on a block U-shaped chalkboard in OSH.

These suggestion boards, which also feature more practical suggestions, such as a request for natural lighting, can be found throughout the building asking for input on the redesign. This summer, OSH will be developed into a new space and MHTN Architects is prioritizing student voices.

In addition to the block U chalkboards, which will pose a new question each week for students to respond to, the group has created a second survey for even more feedback at OSHstudy.com.

The study attempts to prioritize and clarify feedback from the nearly 2,000 students, faculty and staff who responded to the first one. In the initial survey, students requested improvements in classrooms and study spaces. The current questionnaire asks for specifications on how to upgrade those spots, as well as about food preferences and sustainability features.

Working in conjunction with the surveying efforts is a committee of representatives from several of the groups located in OSH, as well as ASUU leadership, to provide a student outlook. The team has met since the beginning of the school year.

On Dec. 8, students can engage in personal interaction with the design team by attending an open house in OSH 107 from 2 to 5:50 p.m.

“Because it is a general education building, we know it is a place where a lot of students spend a lot of time,” said Shireen Ghorbani, spokesperson for facilities management. “We want it to support a good learning environment, but also be a place to congregate so students don’t have to move from building to building.”

@emilyinorgandy