HRE to Install New Furniture in Residence Halls and Apartments

Dane Goodwin
A model room of the standard dormitory furniture. The old furniture is in the process of being replaced with newer furniture.

Housing and Residential Education (HRE) announced residence halls and apartments will be getting a much-needed makeover.

HRE will start a large-scale replacement of the worn furniture over winter break. Frank Sitton, HRE associate director of facilities, said the majority of the pieces in common areas and living rooms in Chapel Glen, Sage Point, Benchmark Plaza and Shoreline Ridge are about 15 years old. The furniture was installed during the 2002 Winter Olympics, and has experienced wear and tear over time.

Additionally, apartment style housing in Benchmark Plaza and Shoreline Ridge will get new sectional sofas, lounge tables, coffee tables and end tables in the living room areas.

Replacement will be done in two parts with the first already completed. Sitton said he estimates the second phase to be done over winter break, costing approximately $400,000. Funds for this project are coming from the U’s Replacement and Renewal, which is designated for major facility upgrades.

HRE installed new sofas and lounge chairs in Gateway Heights over fall break, and will move the same items into Downtown Commons, Chapel Glen and Sage Point.

Abigail Pritchard, a freshman in health promotion education, said she thought the old couches in Gateway Heights were “kind of gross” and was happy to have the newer furniture.

Sitton said it was important to get resident input in choosing the style and type of furniture. HRE held expositions with possible options from different vendors and notifications were sent to students asking for participation to determine the final choice.

Two of the major vendors selected to provide the furniture for this project are Southwest Contract and Foliot. Both specialize in university and residence hall-style furniture.

Sitton said HRE will start removing the old furniture around Jan. 7. Students living in these areas should expect an email notification before winter break, with details about preparations they should make before the process starts.

@NikiVenugopal