Former Honors College Director Remembered for Love of Education

Robert E. Helbling, former professor and director of the U’s Honors College, passed away on Nov. 11 from heart failure at the age of 92.

Born and raised in Switzerland, Helbling attended graduate school at the U in the Languages department. In 1958, after Helbling received a Ph.D. in German literature from Stanford University, he returned to Utah to pursue a career as a professor. In 1964, Helbling became the director of the Honors College, a position he held for three years. In 1965 he became the chair of the Department of Language and Literature.

Helbling taught the cultural history of Germany and Europe, as well as German, French and Swiss literature. He also wrote books and articles on various literary figures, including Friedrich Dürrenmatt and Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

Helbling was instrumental in founding the Honors College’s Intellectual Traditions of the West curriculum, which is still taught today. Helbling and two colleagues assembled an anthology to accompany the course. When the publisher declined to publish the book, Helbling’s passion for education led him to do it himself.

Ann Engar, a professor in the Honors College, said,“he was extraordinarily visionary and generous to students.”

Under Helbling’s direction, the Honors College earned national respect. Maria Dobozy, professor of Languages and Literature, said she remembers Helbling’s kindness and willingness to help others, as well as his fondness for teaching.

“He always attempted to capture the good will of everyone he dealt with … never have I heard anyone say anything but kind words about him,” Dobozy said in an emailed statement.

Helbling’s support for students went beyond the classroom. He invited all of his students to his house for a celebration of their accomplishments at the end of each year. After students graduated, Helbling would follow the progress in their lives.

Outside of education, Helbling loved snow and chocolate. He was an accomplished skier, and was known to pass over the main course for dessert at faculty dinners, Dobozy said.

After his retirement at the age of 75, Helbling would have lunch with colleagues to keep up to date on university issues.

“He was an educator at heart,” Dobozy said. “[He] thrived in this environment where students were eager to learn about the world.”

@sarahnlegg