U Chef Partners with Salvation Army to Provide Thanksgiving Meals for SLC Community

For Thanksgiving, Campus Executive Chef Peter Hodgson (C.E.C., A.A.C.) and ProStart High School students will prepare 750 meals.

The meals will be distributed by the Salvation Army to low income families and people who are housebound. This will be the third year the event is held.

Hodgson said the partnership began when he was looking for a charity to work with and was approached by the Salvation Army of Salt Lake City. Hodgson has worked with students in ProStart, a two-year program offered to 1,700 high schools across the United States, to learn about the food service industry.

This year Hodgson will be joined by about 20 students from Herriman, Roy, West, Highland, Riverton, Jordan and Westlake High Schools. Last year 25 participated in making 1,000 meals. Hodgson said more chefs will be joining this year.

The students and chefs start working two days before Thanksgiving and will slice 450 pounds of turkey. Final assembly takes place on Thanksgiving day, from 5 a.m until 2 a.m. The food is put in hot boxes while it’s delivered, Hodgson said.

Troy Trimmer, envoy in charge at the Salvation Army of Salt Lake City, said they will have 125 drivers, along with any family members that volunteer. Each driver will typically deliver three to five meals

Trimmer said due to a “volunteer oriented” community, the amount of volunteers has been consistent in past years.

Melody Anderson, director of marketing and guest experience at dining services, said the Salvation Army has been holding this event for about 25 years.

The event is also led by Melva Sine, president and CEO of the Utah Restaurant Association, as well as Mike Black, food service director at the Utah Salvation Army.

@shellybrooke17