Game Preview: Utah looks to hold back Oklahoma’s high-scoring offense

Chris Ayers
Tanaeya Boclair driving the lane on Tuesday, Nov 17,2015. Photo by Chris Ayers.

Whether or not Utah gives thanks for a win against No.21 Oklahoma and a 4-1 record to start the season remains to be seen. But be sure the Utes are looking to use this game as a test to see just how good they really are this season.

Head coach Lynne Roberts knows it will be a challenge, but she thinks her team is up to the task.

“It’s going to get tough,” Roberts said. “Oklahoma is really, really good.”

Oklahoma is going to give Utah a gut check on the offensive end. While last year’s run-and-gun Sooners typically beat their opponents with pure offense, this year’s Oklahoma team has turned up the defense. They are allowing just 51 points per game to opponents this year, down from 69 points per game a year ago. While their offense has ebbed slightly, Oklahoma’s overall scoring margin of +21.2 is up exactly 15 points from last season.

Fans not tuning into Thanksgiving Day football games may not recognize the difference — this game should be a slow, physical, defense-focused basketball game.

Through the early part of the season, Utah has formed an identity as a strong defensive team. While Utah’s scoring defense ranks an average 62.7 points per game, the Utes are holding teams to an average of 31 percent shooting, 15th among all Division I teams. That is in large part due to the 6-foot-6 shot blocking from Emily Potter. Potter is coming into Thursday’s game averaging four blocks per game and 13 rebounds per game, third and ninth in the NCAA, respectively. For Utah to come away with a win against this Oklahoma team, Potter is going to have to put her usual stamp on the game as the defensive anchor and post-scorer.

While Potter should be able to lock down the paint against Oklahoma, Utah guards will have their hands full staying in front of Oklahoma junior, Peyton Little. Little is averaging 16 points per game and punishing teams from behind the arc. She leads her team in three-point field goal attempts at nearly seven per game and knocks down 44 percent of them.

Utah has used a 2-3 zone for much of the season thus far, squeezing the paint and forcing teams to skip the ball over the defense and shoot from outside. If the Utes stick to this game plan, they will need to be sharp on their rotations and not allow Little an inch of breathing room.

Fans can listen to the Utes as they tip it off against the Sooners tomorrow at 2:15 MST on ESPN 700.

@WestinJay