U Honors Athletes For Outstanding Community Service

At a halftime ceremony during the Utah vs. UCLA football game on Nov. 21, three U athletes were honored for their contribution to service.

Courtney Jost, a junior majoring in health promotion and education, and Julianne “July” Gentry, a sophomore majoring in health promotion and education, were awarded the Utah Athletes in Service (UAIS) Award. Kenneth Scott, a senior majoring in economics, accepted in absentia, as he remained in the locker room with his team.

To be eligible, a student must be a U athlete in good standing, show commitment to helping the community, leave a legacy of service and demonstrate civic skills, awareness, values and habits.

The UAIS award was created in 2014 by the Lowell Bennion Community Service Center. It strives to honor student athletes who make time to provide aid to others. Sports performance is not evaluated, but awardees must maintain the U’s codes of conduct for students and athletes.

Dean McGovern, Bennion Center executive director, said “the people who take the time to … give back and help people in need deserve special commendation.”

Gentry, a U soccer player, considers service a priority in her life. She regularly participates in Camp Kostopolus, a charity for disabled children and adults, and U-FIT, the U’s program for children and youth with special needs. At times she has also gotten involved with small community projects, including tying blankets for the homeless and sorting clothing for humanitarian expeditions.

Jost does track and field and has volunteered with Cross Cultural Solutions, a nonprofit that addresses global issues by providing service to communities abroad. In Utah, she has volunteered for U-FIT, as well as the Boys and Girls Club and the Utah Food Bank.

Scott, a football player, volunteers at the Juvenile Delinquency Center, which provides crisis counseling to youths between the age of eight and 17.

After the awards were distributed, the athletes were invited to participate in Bennion Center projects. They will be featured in informational sessions, to serve as role models for “fellow students, teammates and area youth,” McGovern said.

Gentry said she was was humbled by the UAIS award, and it encouraged her to seek further engagement with community service.

Gentry said, “This experience just strengthened that desire to serve.”

@sarahnlegg