On the Other Sideline: Seven Questions with The CU Independent

Utah finishes up its regular season this Saturday against Colorado. To prepare for this weekend’s matchup, The Daily Utah Chronicle talked to Justin Guerriero of the CU Independent to get insight into Colorado’s team.

How much of a rivalry do the Buffs see the game as?

I think that this year the Colorado Buffaloes have begun a new relationship with all teams in the Pac-12 Conference, teams that have routinely beaten them down in recent years. There’s no denying that the 2015 Buffs have called out schools of the Pac-12 with seemingly untouchable football programs. Oregon, Arizona, USC — the Buffs played hard and forced these good teams to grind out wins. This year has been reminiscent of legendary CU coach Bill McCartney’s first years in Boulder. McCartney, who coached the Buffs from 1982-1994 and led the team to a national championship in 1990, had a rough beginning with the team. In his first three seasons, he won eight games total. Slowly but surely, his team improved to a point where they could compete and win with the powerhouse teams in the Big Eight Conference. But the period before his team started winning games, the period where they were seemingly on the verge of winning those games — that probably felt a lot like what the Buffs are doing this year. Fitting in a way, considering the recent ESPN 30 for 30 documenting McCartney’s tenure at the school.

As for the players themselves, they’re frustrated. They’re tired of losing. This team feels like it is better than the competition, and honestly, they have a case. The Buffs have constantly let winnable games slip through their fingers this season. They would be going to a bowl game if they would have done just a few things differently. Long story short, the Buffs have a bone to pick with the Pac-12. That includes Utah. I must say, however, that at this point, with all of the disappointing finishes and the loss of starting quarterback Sefo Liufau, who was diagnosed with a Lisfranc fracture a few weeks ago, I’m just not expecting the same intensity from them this week. I think they’re beat up. I think the Buffaloes are a great group of men. There is so much talent on that roster. I just think that it’s going to be hard to put up a good fight Saturday with everything that has happened this season. And one more thing — the Utes are a darn good team too.

What/who will the Utes have to keep their eyes on?

First and foremost, wide receiver Nelson Spruce. The senior has shattered countless receiving records in his career. Earlier this season, he became the Pac-12’s all-time leader in receptions. He’s got just about every CU receiving record. He is the guy that the Buffs can count on. He’s a good leader, a great route runner and an impressive blocker. Spruce finds ways to make the catch. He and Liufau were truly a dynamic duo before Liufau’s season-ending injury. With that being said, I think Spruce’s role in this game will be greatly diminished. Freshman Cade Apsay, who’s now leading the offense, has been impressive at times, but I don’t think there’s any hope of establishing a truly great relationship on the field with Spruce. Liufau and Spruce seemed to have one mind at points. They just fed off each other, and it was amazing to watch. I think Apsay will absolutely target Spruce this Saturday, but I don’t think he’ll be able to utilize him with the mastery that Liufau possessed.

On the other side of the ball, the Utes’ offense will need to be aware of defensive back Chidobe Awuzie. He’s played the most snaps out of anyone on the defense and also leads the team in tackles for losses. He’s an explosive asset of the Buffaloes’ defense with a great football IQ. He’s quick, he’s got range, he breaks up plays; it’s a lot of fun to watch him. Awuzie and the Buffs’ secondary have impressed me with their coverage of the speedy Pac-12 receivers. It’s certainly not been perfect, but Awuzie has always been a dependable talent on the defense this year.

What/who will the Buffs struggle with in Salt Lake?

The Buffs are going to struggle with containing Devontae Booker. The Buffs’ defense has been inefficient against stopping the run this year. I have no doubt Booker will rush for over 100 yards this Saturday. His 11 touchdowns this year frighten me. I think he’s going to have his way with the Colorado defense.

Aside from Booker, it seems like quarterback Travis Wilson is good about sprinkling passes around the football field. While Liufau’s relationship with Spruce was electric, predictability was a plague at times. Defenses notice when a quarterback is targeting a receiver a dozen times a game. So I think Wilson is going to utilize his entire receiving core, something that could spread out the Buffs’ defense and make an already-tough matchup even more difficult.

What does this game mean to Colorado?

As I hinted at earlier, the Utes are playing a wounded Buffs’ team. And again, I just don’t see the same energy or drive being there for the Buffs on Saturday. I can’t imagine the level of frustration of everyone in that locker room — to be so incredibly close so many times and to come up winless in each instance: that is misery. I think the losing has taken a toll. And now, with no hope of a bowl game and without the starting quarterback, the Buffs have to face off against a ranked opponent on the road to put a cap on the 2015 season. I think Salt Lake City will get a bit saltier from the tears of all the Buffa-lunatics out there witnessing or watching what I think is going to be a very ugly game for Colorado this Saturday.

How has Colorado been able to hang around in so many other games? Why haven’t they been able to finish?

The Buffs have been unable to secure wins this year for a number of reasons. Most prominent among them is offensive inefficiency. The Buffs were tied with Oregon at halftime, and led both UCLA and USC in the fourth quarter. But it was all for nothing. The Buffs failed to win any of those games, mostly because the offense has time and time again completely stalled out, forcing the defense to be on the field for an uncomfortable amount of time. At key situations, when a touchdown would have provided much-needed insurance, Colorado’s offense fails to score. Most people seem to think being consistent hints at success. The Buffs’ offense is extremely consistent, but in that bad way. I have no doubt that there will be evidence of this on Saturday. The offense’s ineptitude will continue.

If Colorado does get a win, what would it do for the players?

A win, however improbable, would be huge for the Buffs. For the players in particular — I can’t imagine a bigger confidence boost. What a way to end the season that would be. Right now, people are looking at this season with mixed feelings. Should it be viewed as a success? Well, the Buffs doubled their win total and won a conference game, an accolade rarely achieved since the Buffaloes entered the Pac-12 Conference. But at the same time, they have not matured and improved to the point of having a winning season, and it goes without saying how many of the team’s losses should have been wins. I think that a win on the road to end the season convinces naysayers that this program is nearing a return to relevance. A loss, or worse, an embarrassing loss, only pours salt in the wound and casts an even darker shadow of doubt on this team.

Who do you think will win and why?

I don’t see much of a chance for the Buffaloes. I think the offensive issues will follow them into Saturday’s matchup. Utah is just going to be too much to handle. I’m saying 42-13 Utes or somewhere in that neighborhood. If the Buffs can find a way to compete with the backup quarterback and with the season in the trash can, then more power to them. But as I have illustrated, I have my doubts.

@kbrenneisen