Beauty, Solitude of Red Butte Gardens Worth Braving the Winter Weather

Red butte Garden in winter

This time of year the idea of going outside can be very unappealing. After a mild fall spent basking outside in the sun, it can be hard to suddenly be on the inside looking out. Luckily, there are still some great places near the U campus to get outside. One of these places is Red Butte Garden, and it is surely worth bundling up for a winter trek.

Red butte Garden in winter
Red butte Garden in winter

Red Butte Garden is open year-round and boasts a beautiful and diverse landscape each season. It may come as a surprise, but winter is one of the best times to take a walk in the garden. When the cold begins to creep in and the snow starts to fall, the garden becomes far less crowded. You’ll find few other footprints in the snow, especially after a fresh snow storm. With finals looming and family gatherings pressing in, it can be hard to find some solitude and room to think. The garden in the winter offers just the solitude you may be looking for, along with a little adventure — trails branch off behind the garden, a perfect avenue to get some time in the hills.

If you would rather not stroll the garden solo, the garden also puts on events that bring in some festive crowds. The first event is the holiday open house on Dec. 5 and 6. There will be goods from many local artists, free garden admission and hot drinks. The garden will also be putting on a winter solstice celebration on Dec. 19. The event is a family affair, with activities in the children’s garden, but there are also activities for everyone’s innerchild, including crafts and activities to honor ancient winter solstice traditions. If you have never taken the opportunity to celebrate the solstice, this is a perfect opportunity to spend some time in the crisp December air commemorating the seasonal shift to winter. If you get too chilly outside there will also be activities taking place inside the garden welcome center.

Red butte Garden in winter
Red butte Garden in winter

Not only is the winter landscape at Red Butte beautiful, but the experience also won’t break the bank. The garden is always free for U students with their UCard. During the months of December, January and February, garden admission is half-off for the general public. The garden also offers free wifi, so if you need a quiet place to get some work done for finals, you can take a seat inside the welcome center, look out on the garden and knock out some assignments.

Red Butte Garden is often forgotten in the winter as the crowds gravitate indoors, but it is open all year round and boasts a beautiful winter wonderland for exploring as well as some vibrant community events. Grab a hot beverage, a warm jacket and your UCard and take advantage of the solitude and beauty that is Red Butte Garden in the winter. The garden is open every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will be closed from Dec. 24 to Jan. 1.

@Unchained116