Women’s Basketball: Senior Dani Rodriguez Mentors Freshman Erika Bean

Ute point guards Dani Rodriguez and Erika Bean are happy to be home.

After dropping back-to-back games against No. 21 Oklahoma and Boston College on the road, the Utes are happy to return to their home floor and, hopefully, their winning ways.

“I feel like we’re in a great position right now,” Rodriguez said. “I think we’re going to be learning from games like [Boston College and Oklahoma]. I’d rather it happen now in the preseason.”

The Utes would certainly have liked to have at least split their games in the Junkanoo Jam, especially given how well they played Oklahoma, hanging tight with the 21st-ranked Sooners through three quarters, trailing just five points headed into the fourth. But the Utes took the result as a moral victory this early in the season and returned from the Bahamas with sunny demeanors.

“It definitely shows us where we can be, what kind of team we can be,” said Bean. “Just to be able to stay up and match up with Oklahoma was really great to see.”

Following practice on Tuesday, Rodriguez and Bean talked about their relationship as players, what the Utah altitude advantage means to opposing teams and how they’re adjusting to first-year head coach Lynne Roberts’ new system thus far.

“For other teams not used to playing in altitude, it really helps,” Rodriguez said of Utah’s built-in home court advantage of 4,226 feet above sea-level. “When I came in as a freshman, it took me like three or four months to get used to it. I remember the first days of practice, running and scrimmaging — my chest just felt like piercing pain.”

Roberts has used Utah’s altitude to her advantage in her up-tempo style of play. It’s a style the Utes have taken to.

“Coming in from high school, obviously, the pace of the game is not the same as college,” Bean said. “You just have to read and make the right decision at the right time. It’s really a lot of fun playing at this pace.”

After three games played in the season marked by heavy starter-minutes and a slim bench rotation, Bean broke into what should be her back-up point guard role over the weekend, earning 18 and 19 minutes against Oklahoma and Boston College, respectively.

“I always tell players that whatever opportunity you get, take it and run with it, and Erika did. She did a really good job,” Roberts said. “With freshmen, there is always a learning curve. Everything is new, and there is a lot to take in. Erika is the backup point guard to Danielle Rodriguez, so she’s learning from Dani, which is great.”

Rodriguez reminisced about her days as a freshman guard as well, explaining how she sees herself as a mentor to young Bean.

“I look at it from my freshman year, who I looked up to, seeing them on the floor. You want to be able to go out there and be identical,” she said.

Bean credited Rodriguez’ role as mentor as well.

“Just being able to have the view from the bench and be able to watch her so that when I come into the game, it’s identical,” Bean said.

The Utes will look to return to their winning ways as they host Cal State Northridge this Thursday night. The Matadors are just 1-6 and should give the Utes a test, hungry for their second win in just eight games. Tip-off will be at 7 pm MST.

@westinjay