U Students Rep for Tech Companies to Create Future Customers

original_url%3A+android-assets-library%3A%2F%2Fasset%3Ffile%3Dfile%253A%252F%252F%252Fstorage%252Femulated%252F0%252FDCIM%252FCamera%252F20151023_235646%280%29.jpg%26amp%3Btime%3D1445666206568%26amp%3Bid%3D820
original_url: android-assets-library://asset?file=file%3A%2F%2F%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F0%2FDCIM%2FCamera%2F20151023_235646(0).jpg&time=1445666206568&id=820

The next time your computer freezes, you might be able to turn to the student sitting next to you for help.

Tech companies, such as Apple, Microsoft and Adobe, have student tech representatives at the U who promote their technology while attending school. The reps plan and execute events that encourage students to use their technologies. Events include workshops, setting up a table at a school event or just approaching students and talking to them.

Vincent Fu, a sophomore in biology, is one of Adobe’s five campus reps at the U.

“Pretty much my entire life revolves around Adobe stuff,” he said. “Anything I do for any organization, I used some form of Adobe products.”

Fu knew a student who was an Adobe rep last year at the U and decided to send in an application. Applying to be a student rep is a straightforward process. Applicants apply online and give information about their academics, interests and student involvement. Companies like to see that students are engaged with student life in multiple ways. Fu thinks his membership in a fraternity and his work with the Union Programming Council may have helped him earn the position.

Fu tries to make relevant events that can actually help students, as well as encourage the technology. For Adobe, he might create an event to help business students design their résumé in InDesign or create a Christmas card in Photoshop. Because U students get most Adobe products free, Fu hopes he can help students become familiar with the product so they become future customers.

“It’s a good experience overall, and it’s all-around a good time,” he said. “You have to believe in the service or product before you can promote it to others. I definitely do, so I enjoy this.”

Miranda Chhour, a sophomore in business finance, has worked as a campus rep for Apple for a year. When Apple accepted her, they flew her to their headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., for training.

“I get to be a part of so many things that I didn’t think I’d ever get to be a part of,” Chhour said. “I can get my hands on any device that I want to.”

Given Apple products’ tendency to sell out, it’s a rare benefit to have.

Chhour set up an event for Halloween at Crimson Nights. She displayed new Apple products and had games to win candy and Apple swag.

“I really enjoy getting to meet and teach different student groups while representing a company that I really believe in,” she said. “There’s so many useful tips and tricks and applications that I learned about through being a rep.”

Chhour’s older brother, Calvin, also worked as a student rep, but for Adobe. She said that despite the different companies, they get along well and trade company swag.

Reps report to their companies what they’ve done at the end of each month. The companies give them advice and ideas but allow students free rein to do what they want to promote products.

The U’s Office of Software Licensing offers students and faculty free software, including Adobe’s Creative Cloud suite, and Microsoft’s Office and Windows. University Information Technology also offers services to help students with any IT questions.

@mbatman72