U Professor Discusses Research on Racism Experienced by Black Students in Universities

Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle
Dr. Bryan Hotchkins answers a question on Afrcican-American college experiences at the Sterling Sill Center at the U on Thursday, Dec.3rd, 2015.

U professor Bryan Hotchkins presented his research on the racism black students face in predominantly white universities as a part of the MUSE project. Hotchkins spoke at the Sill Center on Dec. 3 as a part of the fourth lunchtime lecture.

Hotchkins introduced his research by asking the audience how higher education can provide an equal public life for underrepresented populations.

It’s a question Hotckins said he will continue to research “for the next 30 years.”

Dr. Bryan Hotchkins discusses Afrcican-American college experiences at the Sterling Sill Center at the U on Thursday, Dec. 3rd,2015.
Dr. Bryan Hotchkins discusses Afrcican-American college experiences at the Sterling Sill Center at the U on Thursday, Dec. 3rd, 2015. (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Hotchkins gave examples of racism present in current events. He showed a video of black students at UCLA discussing their frustration, where two years ago only 32 black students were predicted to graduate. He also gave the University of Missouri and the resignation of that university’s president as another example.

The case studies for his research involved in-depth interviews with black male students who were also student leaders. Hotchkins said these students represented an academic anomaly because they were black, male and considered nerds, which Hotchkins also describes himself as.

The students he interviewed shared experiences with racism and stereotypes. The implications of his research, Hotchkins said, was there needs to be a “revolutionary change in higher education.”

Hotchkins and his wife, Nedra Hotchkins, created The V(i)llage Initiative, which teaches leadership, self-advocacy, community involvement, culture validation and scholarship for black students in middle and high schools. The program is in its second year and has been implemented in 10 schools.

According to Hotchkins, black students have often been told they can’t go to the U and should aim for other universities. Within the V(i)llage Initiative, if students want to go to the U, the organization will do everything it can to help them achieve this goal.

Sydney Magana, a junior in human development and family studies, works at the Sill Center as part of the student success initiative. Magana wants to go into higher education and said the speech showed many different factors for a future career. Magana said she was glad she attended.

@shellybrooke17