Pop Culture Round-Up: Disney Makes the Wrong Move, and the World Welcomes Saint West

Here’s your Daily Utah Chronicle pop culture round-up: for everything you missed this week in pop culture because you were too busy doing things that actually matter, like homework.

Disney is releasing a live-action version of the “Little Mermaid” and in it, Ariel has blonde hair. Sorry to start it off with such bad news, but I thought I’d come in with something dramatic. Just to reiterate: Ariel, whose gorgeous red hair is basically its own character, will have blonde hair. It’s an atrocity. In fact, Disney should just stop making live action movies based off of cartoons. Honestly, guys, we all know it’s hard to be original, but it’s just laziness at this point. Stop ruining our precious cartoons.

Speaking of live-action cartoons, pictures and a trailer were released from the live-actionTarzan” movie coming out in July 2016. I have mixed feelings about this one because it’s not actually Disney making the movie, so it’s a darker, more adult take on the classic novel that inspired the original Disney movie. Also, it stars two of the most attractive people to ever walk this earth: Alexander Skarsgard and Margot Robbie as Tarzan and Jane, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7ty6sViiU

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show aired on Tuesday. If anyone needed a reason to hit the gym more often, the show gave us a whole bunch of them. The Victoria’s Secret models who walk the runway, called “Angels,” are at peak physical fitness, and it shows. As with years past, the Fashion Show sparked controversy over whether Victoria’s Secret is glorifying unrealistic female body types.

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West had their baby. I know I said in the first “Pop Culture Round-Up” that I wouldn’t talk about any of the Kardashians. I lied. I will be talking about Kanye West and whoever else goes along with him because he’s a creative genius. Anyways, they named their son Saint, which is classic Yeezy. However, I think it would’ve been way more of a plot twist if they named their son something regular like Steve or Jerry. He had a chance to flip the script on us but instead did the predicable thing of naming his son something unpredictable.