Pop Culture Roundup: Reflecting on 2015

The end of the year is fast approaching, but before we move on to 2016 let’s take a second to remember all that 2015 gave us. That’s right — this is no regular Pop Culture Roundup, this is the end-of-the-year edition. Disclaimer: I probably missed some things, and there are some things I have intentionally left out, but I’m doing the best I can, guys.

The Dress. Need I say more? If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you probably live under a rock. The dress was the most divisive thing to happen in America since the Civil War. Families were torn apart and friendships destroyed. Even my grandparents heard about the dress, and of course they each had their own opinion on what color it was. For me, it was black and blue. Always was, always will be.

Llamas escape from am Arizona zoo, leading to the best manhunt this country has seen. This took over the news that day, with every channel broadcasting footage of the two llamas. It took hours to catch them. Unfortunately, hardly anyone remembers this beautiful story because it happened just hours before the dress. February 26 was a wild day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIFZQlhg-SQ

Donald Trump.

Everyone started to hate Minions. They used to be so cute. They were the adorable comedic relief in the first and second Despicable Me movies. However, they got their own movie and a marketing campaign run rampant, and suddenly they were everywhere. They were no longer the adorable and innocent characters they once were. All of a sudden, they became our tiny yellow overlords. Everywhere we looked, there they were, watching us, threatening us.

Caitlyn Jenner made her debut on the cover of Vanity Fair. She looked stunning in an iconic picture of her wearing a sash and a white corset. She went on to win Glamour’s Woman of the Year Award.

Kanye West for president. Yeezy anonounced his 2020 presidential bid during the VMAs. However, it’s unlikely he actually meant what he said, as he did admit to being a bit high during the speech. The only video I could find of his speech is in black and white and set to inspirational music. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROJbduwacFY

Justin Bieber makes his comeback. There was a time when everyone hated Justin Bieber, even those who grew up with his hit “Baby.” He ran around doing whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He didn’t follow rules because they didn’t apply to him. However, 2015 changed all that. In what is the best and most convincing PR stunt of the year, Justin Bieber has “cleaned up his act.” He cried somewhat convincingly at the VMAs, he’s released new, really catchy music, and he has done interviews that depict him as a big softy. He’s even done interviews where he makes some really good points about religion and Christianity. But when he thinks he’s off-camera, the real Justin shows. For example, on the Today Show he threw a tantrum because he thought he was off-air. He wasn’t. Another time, he stormed off stage because his fans were slightly too enthusiastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rdDo2syuvE

Two sequels decades in the making were released. See also: Hollywood loses its originality. I’m only half joking about that originality stuff because I was excited for both sequels. Jurassic World came out first, the sequel to the Jurassic Park movies. It was fantastic, even throwing it back for the true fans with a glimpse of the Jeeps from the first movie, among other things. It broke numerous box office records, but didn’t hold on to them for long, as Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens stole the show. The new Star Wars was the more highly anticipated movie. Actually, saying it was “more highly anticipated” doesn’t quite do it justice. I can’t remember the last time the world was so excited for a movie. I can’t remember the last time I was so excited for a movie. I still haven’t seen it, but I did unfollow a huge number of people on Twitter to avoid spoilers. If I follow you and you even mentioned Star Wars in any of your tweets, I unfollowed you. I just couldn’t take the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAUxw4umkdY