Construction at the Arline Wilmot Skaggs Biology Building, Wednesday January 13, 2016.

Along with other projects at the U, there will be construction near the Skaggs biology building.

Construction is north of the building. Shireen Ghorbani, facilities management spokesperson, said the area needs some pot hole work, and it’s an opportunity to identify and locate underground utilities.

“This is in preparation for an energy saving project tied to biology buildings,” Ghorbani said.

According to the Better Building Challenge, construction is “an initiative of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) design to improve the lives of American people by driving leadership in energy innovation.” The goal is to make the building more energy efficient.

“We’ve already completed one project under this program,” Ghorbani said. The Dumke Health Professionals Building recently underwent construction similar to this one.

Other projects going on around campus are taking place at the Water Conservation Garden at Red Butte, Lassonde Studios, health sciences parking garage, Hunstman Cancer Institute, Crocker Science Center at the George Thomas Building and seismic upgrades at the Social and Behavioral Science building.

s.marchant@dailyutahchronicle.com

@sidneymarchant