Jerry Seinfeld’s One-Man-Show at Abravanel Hall Did Not Disappoint

Getty Images for Baby Buggy
NEW YORK, NY – NOVEMBER 16: Comedian Jerry Seinfeld performs onstage as Baby Buggy celebrates 15 years with “An Evening with Jerry Seinfeld and Amy Schumer” presented by Bank of America – Inside at Beacon Theatre on November 16, 2015 in New York City. (Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Baby Buggy)

Typically, standing ovations are reserved for the end of a comedian’s performance, not the beginning. Unless, of course, you happen to be Jerry Seinfeld and you have a legion of loyal followers spawned from a television show that ran for nearly a decade.

While almost 18 years have passed since the television series “Seinfeld” ended, the leading man himself is still offering audiences his unique brand of observant humor as part of a one-man stage act. Thursday night at Abravanel Hall, Seinfeld proved why he remains a powerhouse in the comedy world, even as he shirks the more modern and edgy styles of most other popular comedians.

Seinfeld began by congratulating the audience for making it to the show, despite the obstacles that stem from the effort of leaving the house. This was followed by a lament about how all the effort it takes to get somewhere leads to the realization you can’t wait to leave. This began a series of mundane and witty observations that appeared fresh and relevant while, at the same time, reminding the audience of another age of comedy. In today’s comedic landscape, where comedians tend to rely on bombastic, vulgar shock value, Seinfeld’s old-fashioned humor felt innovative.

His bits seemed right out of the short stand-up comedy segments that preceded nearly episode of “Seinfeld.” When he discussed our society’s growing dependence on Viagra and Cialis, it was easy to imagine that the stage would cut away at any minute and we would be able to see twenty minutes of Jerry and his three oddball friends trying to navigate this particular problem with a physician. And, judging by the age of most of the people in the audience, as well as the exorbitant price of tickets (which ranged from around $80 to $300), it was apparent this was a stand-up show made for a crowd who loved Seinfeld’s sitcom.

Seeing Seinfeld perform on stage while memories of his TV show unfold before your eyes is like seeing a long-lost friend for those who loved his show. Yet despite the obvious nostalgia as a driving force behind the packed theater, it is impossible to deny the man is still on top of his game. He may be known as the creator of a show about nothing, but his brand of humor remains universally funny and relevant.

After all, who else could invoke sincere laughter for 15 minutes by talking about something as nothing as the invention of Pop-Tarts?