U Student Energy Ambassadors Provide Free Energy Audits to Students

The James L. Sorenson Molecular Biotechnology Building, an engineering building at the University of Utah | Chronicle archives.

Questar Gas and Rocky Mountain Power are partnering with the U Office of Sustainability to help students save energy, water and money through the Energy Ambassadors program.

Through this program, student interns go to the residences of students who live off-campus, evaluate their energy usage, gather data and help make improvements to homes, whether house or apartment.

Nate Bramhall, a junior in English and environmental studies, is a current intern. Bramhall said he felt the project was a good mix between community engagement and his interest in the environment.

Bramhall said that during an audit, two trained interns measure wattage and temperatures of fridges and freezers and examine the sealant in cracks along windows and doors. They also look at thermostats, ventilation systems and water heaters, and check furnace filters if applicable.

Energy efficient engineering buildings, Tuesday, January 13th, 2016

Jack Egan, a junior in economics and environmental studies, joined the Energy Ambassadors because he hopes to work for an environmental consulting firm and values the opportunity to raise awareness.

Egan said the audits — which usually last about 30 to 45 minutes — are important because they encourage energy conservation, and show students the money they could save in the long run.

Egan said audits are free, and Energy Ambassadors provide free compact fluorescent light bulbs, faucet aerators, smart power strips and showerheads for the students they visit.

The goal is to gather a random sample of data concerning usage and raise community awareness for conservation in general.

“We want people to know that there are steps you can take in your own home,” said Egan.

Behavioral habits can have an impact on energy expenditure. Actions such as turning off the lights and taking shorter showers “can really make a difference,” Egan said.

The Energy Ambassadors have a target goal of 75 audits by the end of the year. Bramhall, Egan and a third intern, Isabelle Fernandez, will conduct audits. The Energy Ambassadors will compose a final report at the end of the semester summarizing data of off-campus residences. They will give reports to sponsors Questar Gas and Rocky Mountain Power, and as Egan and Bramhall understand, the companies will use the report for research and conservation purposes.

Those interested in an energy audit can visit the Office of Sustainability’s webpage and select “Energy Ambassadors” under the tab “Getting Involved.”

@NikiVenugopal