Gymnastics: Senior Hughes Leads by Example Against SUU

There comes a time in most athletes’ careers when their experience gives them opportunities to help their team reach glory. In college it typically rests on the seniors’ shoulders to help motivate and inspire the rest of the team to perform at the highest level. For Utah gymnastics, that leader is senior Breanna Hughes.

The meet against SUU was a huge test for several of the young gymnasts on the Red Rocks’ roster, and Hughes felt this was a great opportunity to take charge and lead by example. She also thought this road trip would help the team continue to grow closer in order to be more competitive.

“It’s our first meet away from home, so it will also be a good time for the team to bond, especially for the freshmen to feel comfortable with the rest of us because we are a young team,” Hughes said.

Since the Red Rocks are a young and inexperienced squad, leadership roles were given to all members of the senior class. Co-head coaches Megan Marsden and Tom Farden felt the change from normal team captains to a leadership group was necessary to help develop the skills of the younger members.

“Sometimes we’ve allowed the team to select their captains, and other years we’ve determined as a coaching staff that we would select the group and work with them and mold them with the leadership concept,” Marsden said. “Farden and I felt it was a good year to switch and have our seniors, like Hughes, take more of a leadership role on this team, something that none of them have done in the previous years.”

Hughes didn’t disappoint in Cedar City and had a memorable night. She earned a 9.925 on the bars, a 9.90 on the vault and a 9.875 on the floor to rack up a career-high meet and helped the Utes get a 196.725-195.600 win.

After being a junior during Utah’s 2015 second-place national championship run, this season there’s more pressure but also more reward for Hughes to compete at her highest level. Friday’s results were an example of her competitiveness and motivation to lead the Red Rocks back to the Super Six and a spot in the national championships.

Hughes’ performance inspired her teammates, especially the freshmen, to perform better, and they are all eager for the rest of the season.

Hughes will now help prepare her team as they host Oregon State at home for their first Pac-12 meet of the season this Saturday. The meet will be another big test for this young Red Rocks team that is looking to continue its successful start to the 2016 season.

@chad_marquez