Sesame Street Puppeteer Caroll Spinney to visit the U

As a child, you knew him as Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch. Soon, you’ll know him as the man behind the mask: Caroll Spinney.

Spinney will speak at the U’s Kingsbury Hall in conjunction with a screening of the 2014 documentary I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story. On Jan. 29, Spinney will appear on stage for a live conversation with KUED’s Ken Verdoia following the film showing.

“The audience gets to see how the creative process causes great challenges and even greater rewards for the artists,” said Robin Wilks-Dun, UtahPresents community engagement coordinator, in an emailed statement.

The event will offer audience members an opportunity to get to know Spinney and learn about his career as a regular on PBS Kids’ “Sesame Street.”

“Spinney is a charming person who is very candid about his life’s journey becoming Big Bird,” Wilks-Dun said.

Spinney has acted as Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch since the show debuted in 1969. At 82 years old, he continues to portray the characters, despite the physical demands of puppeteering. While Spinney’s characters are tailored toward children, his documentary and subsequent appearance will likely be of more interest to adults.

“For young children who still enjoy watching “Sesame Street,” the film might ruin the magic of the puppetry a little bit,” said Sheri Jardine, Kingsbury Hall spokesperson, in an emailed statement. “But for adults who grew up learning about the world from Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch and the other characters on “Sesame Street,” the film will show a lot of interesting background information.”

The event, which starts at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 29, will run for approximately two hours. While interest is growing as the date nears, Jardine said tickets are still available. Prices range from $19 to $29. U students can purchase tickets for $5 with a UCard. The venue can accommodate about 1,900 attendees.

@sarahnlegg