Society Needs to Cut Back on Excessive Waste During the Holidays

Although the holidays are the “most wonderful time of the year,” they are also the most wasteful time of the year. Considering statistics of just how detrimental to the environment our holiday season is, we should resolve to reduce overindulgence. While it is recognized that Christmas is a holiday for which we’ve traditionalized and normalized cutting down trees, using excessive amounts of electricity, buying a massive quantity of products and increasing our waste production, it is time to acknowledge the impact these traditions have and strive to make our holiday season more eco-friendly.

National Geographic reports that between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day we increase our garbage production by one million extra tons of garbage each week. Phys.org reports that Christmas lights account for 6.63 billion kilowatt hours of electricity consumption, which is more than the yearly national electricity consumption by many developing countries. According to Mother Nature Network, 27 million trees were sold in 2010, and 10 million artificial trees were sold — artificial trees made of plastic and other non-decomposing materials. The Australian Conservation Foundation reports a minimum 2,285,000 tons of greenhouse pollution attributed to Christmas in Australia alone.

These statistics reveal gross negligence regarding environmental consideration during the holidays, and we must strive for ways to negate some of the damage caused by our overindulgence. Because the holidays are about giving, here are ways to give back to the planet during the next holiday season:

1. Focus on quality, not quantity when buying. Ditch frivolous gifts, and be sure to purchase locally-made gifts instead. Handmade and homemade is always more thoughtful.
  2. Limit the wrapping paper (or try opting for hemp/recycled paper products), and focus on reusable gift wrapping.
  3. Buy LED lights to decorate your tree/house. LED bulbs are 90 percent more efficient than traditional bulbs.
  4. Recycle your Christmas tree! Christmas trees can be turned into mulch or wood chips. Or plant a pine tree in your yard, and decorate that tree each year.
  5. Skip the paper/plastic plates. I know paper plates and plastic cutlery can be convenient, but disposables are not worth the environmental detriment.
  6. Create new traditions that do not center around gift-giving. Try a Christmas day hike, volunteer at a food bank or take a snowshoeing adventure.

These are just starting points to decrease our environmental impact. I challenge all of us to reclaim the spirit of the holiday season and focus more on being charitable and spending quality time with loved ones. I invite us all to start building experiences and avoid accruing more debt. Let us remember that memories are worth more than materialistic items. Resolve to ease up on the decorations and simplify your life in a way that is more harmonious to each other and our environment.