The Perfect New Year’s Resolution: Going Green

The Perfect New Years Resolution: Going Green

If conservatives believe climate change is a hoax invented by liberals, I get to believe Santa was invented by Republicans. Think about it. His clothes are red, he promotes big industry, his company is powered by the work of elves who receive no pay, and the rich are highly advantaged when it comes to giving and receiving gifts. But hey, at least Santa’s sleigh is powered by magic (probably renewable) instead of an SUV that gets 11 miles to the gallon.

As we embark on this New Year, instead of conjuring up resolutions that are only for the betterment of ourselves, we should expand those resolutions to include goals aimed at the betterment of our environment.

Instead of resolutions that only center around the self, let’s expand our desire for improvement to the collective. This year, let’s start a green resolution revolution. Let’s resolve to make the world a better place. Small changes can have big impacts. Let’s resolve to reduce our carbon footprint by walking or biking to work, or taking public transportation to school at least one day a week. Do an energy audit of your home. If you’re a die-hard carnivore, try a Meatless Monday. Earth.org reports that foregoing meat just one day a week would be the equivalent of taking your car off the road for 320 miles.

Another way to go green this new year is to purchase food that has been produced locally. Michigan State University reported that local food has more flavor, higher nutritional value, it benefits the environment and supports our local economy. Boston University reports that the average American uses 25,300 gallons of water a year (69.3 gallons daily). The university further reports that an average shower uses about five gallons of water per minute, but if we shorten our showers by two minutes, we can cut our water use by 10 gallons.

While I am not discrediting you overly zealous New Year Gym-resolution-goers, I am challenging everyone to take their New Year’s Resolutions one step further and to go green in 2016.

P.S. Next year, Santa, you’re getting locally grown veggies in lieu of cookies.