Gov. Herbert Addresses Education in Annual “State of the State” Address

0
19
Utah State of the State address, Wednesday January 27, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Utah Governor Gary Herbert gave his annual State of the State address on Wednesday, Jan. 27.

After touching on many other topics, Gov. Herbert made a remark particularly relevant to students: “If you remember nothing else from my message this evening, remember this — education is the most important investment we can make for Utah’s future,” he said.

Gov. Herbert said Utah has increased the amount of money going to education over the past four years by $1.3 billion, $422 million of which has gone to higher education. This money can help pay for new facilities on public school campuses, such as the U.

In addition, high school graduation rates have risen by 10 percent to 84 percent over the past four years. Gov. Herbert pledges to raise that to 90 percent over the next four years.

Education was among the most prevalent topics in Gov. Herbert’s address. In conclusion, he explained that while the state of our state is strong, but there is always room for improvement.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert gives his yearly state of the state address, Wednesday January 27, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)
Utah Speaker of the House Greg Hughes jokes with President of the Utah state senate Wayne Niederhauser before Governer Gary Herbert gave his State of the State address, Wednesday January 27, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)
Utah Gov. Gary Herbert pauses during his State of the State address, Wednesday January 27, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)
Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes takes a selfie before the State of the State address, Wednesday January 27, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)

m.sheehan@dailyutahchronicle.com