Adams: Krystkowiak Calls for a Leader, Poeltl Responds

Daily Utah Chronicle
Sophomore forward Jakob Poeltl (42) celebrates as junior guard Lorenzo Bonam (15) makes a shot plus a fowl in a Pac-12 regular season game against the Cal Golden Bears at the Jon M. Huntsman Center, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle.

Think back to Jan. 14, when Utah had just gotten pummeled in the Huntsman Center 77-59 by the Oregon Ducks to drop its record to 1-3 to start conference play. With tougher games remaining on the schedule, it was near-panic time for the Utes.

Utah fans and media members everywhere were questioning the strength of this Utah team, myself included. The Utes were not playing the part of a team returning the majority of a Sweet 16 roster from last season, and instead looked like a middle-of-the-road Pac-12 team, if that.

There was a lack of emotion with these Utes, no drive, no determination, and head coach Larry Krystkowiak could sense it during the poor stretch.

“After a loss like this, I think a coach would be crazy to say you have a bunch of great leadership and that’s not an indictment,” Krystkowiak said. “I wanted to be a player-led team, but to answer your question I think the guys know we need more.”

Fast forward to the present and the Utes are singing their song to a much different tune. After a refreshing 96-74 win over Stanford on Saturday, Utah has now won five games in a row and currently sits in a tie for second place in the Pac-12 standings. With the parity that exists in the conference, this is as prime a position as any for the Utes to continue their hot play and remain a top team.

Krystkowiak said he needed more from his players and they delivered. During this winning streak, several Utes have stepped up, but one player in particular has elevated his game — Jakob Poeltl.

Krystkowiak views the term ‘leadership’ differently than most. Instead of seeing one individual such as Brandon Taylor or Jordan Loveridge as the sole leader of his team, Krystkowiak sees the opportunity for every player on his roster to be a leader every game. By taking care of his own assignment every day, each Ute is a leader by example in Krystkowiak’s eyes.

This has been somewhat transcendent to the Utes’ play on the court, as a well-balanced attack has led them to this five-game winning streak. But some would argue that Poeltl is the clear leader of this team and I tend to agree.

STOP THE PRESS! POELTL IS THE BEST ON THE TEAM?! Well, duh. You might be reading this and thinking to yourself, this guy is an idiot. Of course Poeltl is the leader of this team, but hear me out before immediately throwing this paper in the nearest recycling bin.

It’s no secret — Poeltl is clearly the most talented Ute. He’s a surefire first round NBA Draft pick come summer and might even crack the lottery if the ping pong balls fall his way. But Poeltl isn’t much of a talker. A lot of the vocal responsibilities fall on the senior leaders of the team, such as Taylor, Loveridge or sometimes Dakarai Tucker.

However, during this five-game winning streak, Poeltl hasn’t had to say a word to assume the role of leader on this squad. In those five games, Poeltl scored 15, 14, 29, 21 and 23 points. Also during that span, the Austrian has pulled down 38 rebounds and dished the ball 11 times, all while shooting 60.7 percent from the field.

He’s letting his play do the talking for him.

Now, those stats alone are enough to dub Poeltl a leader, but if you aren’t convinced, ask yourself this question — who do you trust most with the game on the line? With the closing seconds ticking on the clock, which Ute should be taking that last shot?

Taylor? Loveridge? Tucker?

D. None of the above.

Poeltl is not only the best player on this team, but he’s also the one I’d trust most if I was Krystkowiak in a time of need. Despite Taylor and Tucker rediscovering their shots and Loveridge being dependable throughout the season, Poeltl’s improved footwork and post moves will lead to a much better look than say a pull-up, 28-foot jumper from the wing.

And if he can’t put the ball in the hoop, there’s a good chance that Poeltl is getting fouled and heading to the line. A weakness a year ago, Poeltl has done an amazing job of making free-throw shooting a strength of his, converting 69.4 percent from the line. There have been times this season when maybe Ute fans WANTED Poeltl at the line versus anyone else on the court for Utah; a ludicrous thought a season ago.

Krystkowiak called for leadership, and Poeltl responded. The sophomore center’s play has the Utes finally playing like a tournament team, and if the Runnin’ Utes can continue this stellar run, there’s no reason they can’t be the favorite heading into the conference tournament next month.

@griffdoug