Career Services Hosts Job Fair, Aims to Help Students Find Work

Chris Ayers
Students at the University of Utah | Chrony archives.

It may be cold and snowy outside, but according to the U’s Career Services, that doesn’t mean it’s too early to start looking for a summer job.

The group is hosting the 2016 Summer Student Job Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lines of tables in the Union Ballroom will be occupied by more than 100 companies and recruiters for volunteer experiences, seasonal employment and part-time and full-time positions. Sarah Jarman, spokesperson for Career Services, said of the companies that attend the job fair, the U hires the most student employees.

Miranda Fowler, a junior in exercise and sports science, found the Summer Student Job Fair useful when she attended in 2014. Although Fowler ended up finding a job elsewhere, it opened her eyes to the possibilities she has while studying at the U.

“It’s a great chance to see all of the opportunities available to you, whether it’s an internship or a summer job,” she said.

To prepare for the event, students are encouraged to download an application called Utah Career Fair Plus. Although the application is geared toward those attending another Career Fair on Thursday, Feb. 4, there is a tab for students to select the 2016 Summer Student Job Fair.

On the application, students will find a list of employers tabling at the event, a fair map and tips for those participating, which includes advice on how to behave and dress, how to give an “elevator speech” for employers and how to stand out among the 500 to 700 students that attend the annual event.

Jarman said the students that have the best chance of acquiring a position they want are those who research the companies they are interested in beforehand.

@emilyinorgandy