Celebrate the Art of Ballet with Utah Ballet Two

The month of February is generally considered a time to celebrate the art of love, but at the U, it’s also a time to celebrate the art of ballet. The Department of Ballet presents its first production of the semester this weekend with Utah Ballet Two.

The show opens with a performance by the Character Dance Ensemble, a separate branch of the Department of Ballet. The group performs pieces inspired by the traditional dances of cultures from around the world. The CDE has traveled to Spain, Hungary and other countries in order to more fully authenticate the choreography. Bright music, intricate footwork and unusual costumes make for a fun performance.

ballet 9

If there was one word to describe the second piece on the program, it would be “playful.” Choreographed by Jennifer Weber, a professor in the department, it features six dancers engaging with each other — full of smiles, cheerful movements and even the occasional cartwheel. The piece begins in silence, while the dancers interact with each other and the audience, peeking around curtains and generally having a good time. Then the music comes along and it adds to the overall upbeat nature of the performance.

The second best word for this piece is probably “bright.” The lighting and costuming each feature a rainbow of colors and tones. Even the choreography displays a lot of light and excitement.

ballet 10

Department chair Brent Schneider choreographed the next dance. Although the piece is on the long side and the various parts seem a bit disjointed at times, the whole thing is tied together by the various black costumes worn by all the performers and the operatic music playing over everything. Although several of the dancers wear pointe shoes, all of the dancing has a contemporary flavor and even uses props, such as an extended sequence at the end where some of the dancers illuminate others with a handheld spotlight.

The next section of the program deviates from the previous numbers and looks more like what the average person might expect from a ballet performance. First off, a trio of female dancers in bright purple tutus performs the “Odalisque” sequence from the ballet Le Corsaire. Each dancer dances an individual variation, all of which are bookended by a pair of group dances.

ballet 11

Following this selection, a group of ballerinas take turns performing solo variations from a variety of famous ballets, including Sleeping Beauty and Giselle. Even for those unversed in the art of ballet, the music may be familiar. The different choreography and costumes make for a fun survey of some of the more well-known solos in the classical ballet tradition. Each is executed by a dancer whose style suits the choreography which adds to the quality of the variations.

The final performance on the program was choreographed by Jay Kim, another professor in the department. Dramatic music, fantastic lighting and wildly good dancing make this last number spectacular. Lots of partnering also makes this piece stand out, as the other pieces featured one or two male dancers at the most. Although the show lasts close to two hours, this last performance is well worth the wait.

Utah Ballet Two continues with performances Friday Feb. 5 and Saturday Feb. 6 at 7:30 p.m. There will be an additional matinee at 2 p.m. on Saturday. Tickets are free for students with a valid UCard. All performances will be held in the Marriott Center for Dance.