Free Stuff, Dancing and Run-ins with the Law Make Crimson Nights a Hit

Crimson Nights continues to be one of the most popular student events on campus. Last Friday’s “Winter Wonderland” Crimson Nights closed off the Union patio due to the snow and cold. Although not as grandiose as the Crimson Nights at the beginning of the school year, this event still provided plenty of fun for students.

With an inflatable obstacle course, a casino room, cornhole, giant Jenga, spray tatoos and scrapbooking, there was something for everyone. As usual, dancing was one of the most popular events during the night. With the Union Ballroom nearly filled with circle pits and breakdancers, Crimson Nights made the previous week’s student philanthropy event Rock the U look rather limp. Despite promotional material claiming there would be winter dance music, the DJ did not play any. Rather, he played most of today’s hip-hop and rap hits. He did sprinkle a few treats in for students and played some “classic” songs from our middle school days (such as “In Da Club” by 50 Cent and “Crank That (Soulja Boy)”).

Crimson nights Winter Winderland, Friday Feb. 5, 2016. (Mike Sheehan, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Of course, the freebies in the Union basement during the event are why many students attend Crimson Nights. Offering bowling, billiards, ping-pong, foosball and the gaming center, the bottom floor filled quickly. The demand for bowling was so high that it eventually became a first come, first serve basis. Despite all the fun, the night was not perfect. A dodgeball tournament was planned, but the Union Programming Council posted a Facebook status notifying students that it was canceled.

Security seemed much tighter than at previous Crimson Nights, which proved to be a smart idea. One individual got into a scuffle with the school’s security and the police. The perpetrator (a non-U student) was denied entrance to the event after the front usher deemed he was too intoxicated to be admitted. The student walked away from the entrance before racing back trying to push his way in, allegedly assaulting the usher. According to eye-witnesses, police officers rushed up the Union stairs and tackled him in front of the building, before the perpetrator tried to assault one of the officers. He was thrown in the back of a police car in front of the Union around 12:50 a.m., not to arrest him, but to calm him down. He was later released without any consequences.

The final Crimson Nights of the school year will occur sometime in early April to avoid any possible conflict with finals. It is sure to be just as exciting as the most recent event. As always, it’s free for U students with a valid UCard and $5 for students with IDs from other colleges and universities.