Taft-Nicholson Center Accepts Applications for 2016 Artist-In-Residency Program

Surrounded by rolling fields, rivers and glacially carved mountain peaks, Centennial Valley is a picturesque landscape and for a few lucky individuals, it will be the creative retreat to grow their artistic craft.

As a part of the Taft-Nicholson Artist-in-Residence program, Frank Carter, regional director, said the opportunity allows artists from all disciplines to create in the natural “awe-inspiring” beauty of the valley located in southern Montana.

Carter said the center is now an extension of the U campus and is a field research facility for environmental humanities studies. It sits on 16 acres of land and was built out of the former stagecoach stop of Lakeview, Mont. John and Melody Taft, and Bill and Sandi Nicholson, bought, restored and donated the area to the U.

arts residency 2

Selected applicants live in either a private, one-bedroom house or room in the Zimbeaux Art Center, a restored schoolhouse building. Artists can stay for two weeks or up to a month and can specify the amount of time they will need in their application.

The residency program’s runs from June 18 to Oct. 19, and around five to six artists are chosen. Carter said at least one student artist is awarded per season.

Carter was an artist-in-residence during the 2013 inaugural season of the program and said the experience was transformative. He had just finished a walk of over 500 miles across the southern United States and spent his residency painting, writing songs and documenting his experience in a book.

Without his time in Centennial Valley, Carter said “my book, my heart, would not have come out the way it did.”

arts residency 3

Carter said the program provide an “unplugged space” for artists to create and also gives meaningful experience through interactions with professor and students at the research facilities and the nearby cattle-ranching communities.

At the end of the program, artists are expected to present their work at least once and leave some piece of their art behind.

Mark Bergstrom, new director of the center, was unavailable for comment on the program, as he felt unequipped to answer questions.

In addition to other requirements, candidates must submit pieces of their work for consideration. The application is due on April 20 and can be found on the center’s website:

http://taft-nicholson.utah.edu/artist-in-residence/artist-residency.php

Awards will be announced May 15.

@NikiVenugopal