Roberts Discusses National Honors for Rodriguez, Postseason Goals and More

The sweep of Colorado last week couldn’t have come at a more perfect time for the Utah women’s basketball team. A tough stretch of play against several ranked opponents, in which Utah went 0-5, seemed to derail the spirit and energy that drove the team after experiencing some success early in the season.

But a 2-0 week, split at home and in Colorado, revitalized the team and resurrected some of that early season zeal.

Utah head coach Lynne Roberts met with media Tuesday morning, where she recognized Dani Rodriguez for her selection to the Allstate WBCA Good Works Team, discussed postseason goals and looking ahead to the final games of regular season play.

Roberts opened the press conference with a statement in which she commended her team for its play in both games against Colorado.

“It’s hard to beat anyone twice, and it’s really hard to beat the same team twice in one week,” Roberts said. “We’re pleased to get through that 2-0, and each game was different, so it was a good learning experience. We’re continuing to get better.”

Last Thursday’s home game against the Buffs, the first of the series, was Utah’s game to lose, as Colorado came into the matchup with just one win in 10 conference games. Utah never wavered, controlling the game wire to wire.

Sunday’s game in Colorado, however, was a more difficult task for the Utes. Home-and-home splits are traditionally difficult for teams to sweep. Before the series, Roberts called the second game of the series “a trap game” for whichever team won the first game due to a perceived ability to relax.

Through three quarters, the Buffs hung tough with the Utes, carried by their senior forward, Jamee Swan. But in the fourth quarter, battle-tested Utah stole the show, outscoring Colorado 25-13.

“It was fun to see our team push through a little adversity and run away with it at the end. It was a good win and a good week,” Roberts said.

In another big win for the Utah program, senior guard Dani Rodriguez was recognized for her exemplary work in the community by being named to the Allstate WBCA Good Works Team. This organization awards student-athletes across the county who enrich the lives of others, contributing to the greater good in their communities.

There were 103 nominees for the award, but Rodriguez is one of just 10 student-athletes in the nation to receive this honor.

“I’m so proud of [Rodriguez],” Roberts said. “That is one of the best awards you can get as a college athlete. I feel lucky that I get to coach her.”

Rodriguez has spent countless hours serving the community in Utah. Some of her efforts include reading to kids at Lincoln Elementary School, assisting senior citizens, spending time with veterans at the local Veterans Hospital and speaking to under-privileged middle school girls about the value of education.

After recognizing Rodriguez’ outstanding work to receive such an honor, Roberts also discussed with media the team’s postseason goals. Currently, Utah sits tied with Oregon for the sixth spot in the Pac-12 standings. Through the first two-thirds of regular season, Utah has come out 6-6.

With the final six games of regular season play on the docket, the first of which will be against Oregon, who stole a game on the Utes’ home floor, now is the time for Utah to make some noise if it plans on making any kind of postseason run.

However, Roberts understands the importance of day-to-day preperation and isn’t letting her team get too carried away with WNIT whimsies just yet.

“I have learned after doing this long enough that when you start looking ahead, that’s when you can trip, because you’re not looking where you’re walking,” Roberts said. “This is where we’re at and we’ve worked our butts off to get here so we can soon start thinking about what we want to achieve.”

@westinjay