Think Outside the Restaurant: Try Some Different Date Ideas

Masonic Temple, Wednesday, February 10th, 2016, Peter Creveling Utah Chronicle

Love is in the air! In case you somehow missed the memo, Feb. 14 is Valentine’s Day, and it’s right around the corner. Many couples will be going to cutesy restaurants covered in paper hearts to spend lots of money, all for the pleasure of being surrounded by other couples and maybe engaging in a little PDA.

You could be one of those couples. You could plan ahead and get reservations at a fancy restaurant. You could have a classic Valentine’s Day.

Or you could be creative, avoid the massive crowds and do something that will show your significant other that you two are awesome and shouldn’t be with anyone else but each other.

For those of you picking the latter and who may have no idea what to do, have no fear. There are plenty of unique activities you can do in Salt Lake, and here is a list of a few ideas. Make sure to talk with your significant other about your Valentine’s Day plans before the day comes so your expectations match up and you aren’t stuck feeling awful when you should be enjoying yourself.

Gilgal Sculpture Garden

749 E. 500 S., Salt Lake City

Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday through Saturday; free

If you haven’t visited this wonder of the Utah landscape, you are seriously missing out. The spot is now an official Utah State Park, but it used to be the backyard of some guy named Thomas Battersby Child, Jr., who was a Mormon stonemason. Child clearly wasn’t cut from the same stone as most people, and his sculptures attest to that. A sphinx with the face of Joseph Smith, Jr., the first prophet of the Mormon church, can be seen, in addition to carved grasshoppers, slabs of rock embedded with scriptural inscriptions, a self-portrait of Child and much more. Take some time to wander around in sheer amazement that someone ever spent the time to put it all together.

Masonic Wasatch Lodge #1

650 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City

Tours upon request; free

Ever wondered if Freemasonry is still a thing in Utah? Well, given the continued presence of the Wasatch Lodge, it is safe to say it is. Those in charge of the Lodge are willing to let people see inside the place for free when you make a reservation. Though this option does require you to call ahead, the opportunity to glimpse an otherwise secretive society should make up for it. You will have plenty to talk about with your significant other afterwards.

Color Me Mine

1414 So. Foothill Rd. #H, Salt Lake City

Open Fri., Sat., Sun. with reservation; $10 for studio fee, $10 for ceramic

Just because you aren’t a master painter doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy creating art. Color Me Mine recognizes this fact and provides all sorts of materials and support for your artistic needs. Once you pick your ceramic piece (cup, plate, bowl) you are free to paint it however you like, and whatever you create there will be glazed, fired and sent to you five days after your art session. While this option is definitely on the expensive side at $20 per person, you will be able to use your creation forever, or at least until it breaks.

Take a Hike

Pretty much anywhere

Always open; always free

Salt Lake City has some beautiful hiking trails. Bundle up against the cold, bring a small packed meal that you can eat without having to sit in the cold snow, and enjoy the opportunity to talk about whatever comes to mind while you enjoy Utah winter at its finest. Check out wasatchmag.com for more ideas on where to go.