U Press Publishes Three New Books on Utah’s History

U Press Publishes Three New Books on Utahs History

The U Press has published three books, The Awkward State of Utah, Last Chance Byway and Tracks in Deep Time.

Although the Marriott Library’s newsletter made the announcement on Jan. 21, the books were released in October, December and January, respectively.

Hannah New, a spokesperson for the U Press, said, despite being published by the U’s press, these books may not necessarily be used as textbooks.

books 2

“One or more of them could be used here or in other universities around the state, but that was not our principal goal in publishing them,” New said. “All of the books help accomplish our goals of education, knowledge dissemination and contributing to the community.”

The Awkward State of Utah was co-published with the Utah State Historical Society. Co-authors Charles S. Peterson and Brian Q. Cannon, are longtime members of the society. The book chronicles Utah development starting from when it received statehood, up until World War II. The authors researched for nearly 20 years before publication.

Tracks in Deep Time was written by paleontologists Jerald D. Harris and Andrew R.C. Milner about the St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm. Harris and Milner wanted to paint a colorful picture of the creatures that roamed the area two hundred million years ago.

The final publication is Last Chance Byway, an account of the people who passed through and made a home in Nine Mile Canyon in eastern Utah. The book discusses the stories and relationships between trappers, miners, ranchers and other inhabitants of the canyon. Archaeologist Jerry D. Spangler wrote the book with his wife, Donna Kemp Spangler, spokesperson for the Utah Department of Environmental Quality.

New said a university printing press provides a portal connecting educational institution to communicate and engage people near and far.

“If we think of advancing and disseminating knowledge through research and education as a core purpose of a university, a university press is a key ingredient in that process,” New said. “Publishers not only provide materials used in and out of the classroom but also disseminate the knowledge gained through research.”

@emilyinorgandyT