Escape from Smog Valley with a Trip to Park City

Once the dreaded smog settles in and hangs low over the Salt Lake Valley, it is time to escape to higher elevations for a chance to breathe. We are lucky here in Salt Lake that we have such easy access to the mountains — we’re able to drive up out of the soupy pollution in about 20 minutes. If you are looking for an escape, Park City is a great option for a classy day or evening in the fresh air. It is about a 45 minute drive from the city to downtown Park City. Whether you make it a date or bring some friends, here are some things to do in and around Park City without spending like the stars.

Art Galleries

Park City is home to some pretty incredible art. Galleries seem to take up every other shop space up and down Historic Main Street. The great thing about the galleries is you can stroll through most of them free of charge. Though you won’t be purchasing that $9,000 acrylic painting of aspen trees, you can still enjoy it either through the windows or from inside. There are new shows opening all the time so do a Google search before you head out to decide what you want to see. There are also always events happening at the Kimball Art Center next to Main Street.

Chill at the city park

The park is always a great free option if you are just loitering to get some fresh air. The city park, just a block from main street, is clean and interesting. There are fields, small areas of play equipment and a paved path that takes you around the park and back out onto the main roads. Bring your bike or take a walk on the path. There are plenty of cute dogs frolicking and some interesting sculptures scattered here and there. Don’t forget your gloves so you can play in the snow a little. There is also a 7-Eleven right next to the park so you can get some snacks and simply sit on a bench to enjoy the sunshine we haven’t seen in the valley for far too long.

Atticus Coffee, Books and Teahouse

If you are a fan of books, coffee, tea and/ or great ambience then Atticus Coffee, Books and Teahouse is for you. The little shop is located in the middle of Main Street and features indoor and outdoor seating. On one side there is a small bookshop with new releases and classic favorites as well as small gifts and a long wall of loose-leaf house teas packaged for sale. The other side of the store offers tables and a comfy couch to sit and sip a tea or coffee beverage purchased from the counter in the middle. The shop has Harry Potter-themed drink sizes and their house favorite tea is called “The Goblet of Fire,” a cinnamon black tea blend that is definitely worth trying.

While we wait with bated breath for a storm to clear out our valley, give your lungs a break and take a drive up to Park City. It’s not only for the rich and famous — it has some great things to offer the college student. Pick a friend or take a solo trip, as long as you enjoy the sunshine and the fresh air.

@unchained116