Seismic Upgrade brings the Social and Behavioral Sciences Building into the 21st century

Though behind schedule, a seismic upgrade on the Social and Behavioral Sciences building is almost complete.

The upgrade is intended to align the building with modern standards but is part of a larger refurbishment to take place in upcoming years as funding becomes available. Facilities Management does not have any plans to replace the building at this time, so renovations are necessary to extend its life.

Cory Higgins, executive director of U facility and construction operations, said in an emailed statement that the structural work is only one more system. The heating, cooling, electrical and building envelope will all also need refurbishment.

Floor layout upgrades are also needed to increase their functionality, Higgins said.

A study conducted in 2012 conceptualized the upgrade, but construction did not begin until 2013. The initial phase prepared the space for future work, and in late 2014 the upgrade was underway.

The project occupies the first floor and basement of the building, but both are scheduled to reopen in Fall 2016. Shireen Ghorbani, U Facilities Management spokesperson, said once this section is completed, work will continue in other parts of the structure.

Estimated completion dates for the other stages were unavailable, as they will be done “as funding is available,” Higgins said.

Work on the seismic upgrade is behind its initial projected completion date. The basement and first floor were expected to reopen in December 2015, according to the Facilities Management project statement.

This is part of a larger initiative to make other older buildings on campus more seismically sound, including the Park building in President’s Circle. The Marriott Library also underwent a seismic upgrade from 2004 to 2008, which included a complete remodeling.

“The plan is to continue to do our best to ensure the longest life out of our buildings as possible while analyzing and carefully considering the safety of those structures,” Ghorbani said.

While Facilities Management works on the seismic upgrade of the Social and Behavioral Sciences Building, first-floor classrooms will be renovated as well.

The initial schedule for the project tentatively proposed level two classroom remodels to start this year, but those will be delayed until the first floor reopens.

The main priority, for now, is to improve the building’s stability so it can host students without having to be fully rebuilt.

The elevators were recently refurbished, but as for now, Higgins said, “we desire to make [the building] seismically safe.”

@sarahnlegg