Creamers Ruin the Authentic Coffee Experience

Coffee is one of the most popular beverages in the world, especially among college students. Who can resist the wonderful flavor of coffee? I know I can’t. Having enjoyed my first cup of joe around the age of four, it’s safe to say I’ve been a coffee drinker most of my life. I’ve grown to appreciate the wonderful taste of coffee, but not the taste of creamers. The only real (and best) way to drink coffee is to drink it black.

Maybe you don’t know this, but when you add creamer, not only does it dilute the effects of the caffeine, it also ruins that wonderful coffee flavor. The natural smell of coffee gets washed away and you end up consuming mouthfuls of artificial flavoring. How lovely. Why don’t you just pour yourself a glass of milk with sugar and a splash of artificially flavored vanilla? It’s practically the same thing.

The moment you add creamer of any kind to your coffee, you lose the ability to taste and feel the coffee itself. You should be able to feel the java on your tongue. It might be smooth, it might be bitter. The flavor might fade quickly, or linger delightfully on your palate. If you relish in experiencing such distinctions, then congratulations, you’re a true coffee connoisseur.

As an avid coffee enthusiast, I cannot stress how much you are missing out on if you’re drowning your java in cream. You’re missing out on the many different tastes and characteristics — such as chocolatey-ness, fruitiness, nuttiness and spiciness — which are innate to certain types of coffee beans. The process of tasting coffee is similar to that of wine tasting. Please stop adding creamer to your coffee and enjoy it the way it was meant to be: black.