Eccles Week Kicks Off With Egg-Drop Competition

Students in the main lobby at the Eccles School of Business at the U in Salt Lake City, Utah, Thursday, September 17, 2015 (Rishi Deka, Daily Utah Chronicle).

Building blocks, Legos and eggs falling from the sky are not typical sights at the business school, but all of these can be seen during Eccles School Week.

Each day from Feb.19 to Feb. 25 will commemorate a different value of the business school. To celebrate innovation, the school held a 15-30-foot egg drop event on Feb. 23.

Matthew Rayl, a nursing student who received his first degree in mechanical engineering, hung his egg inside a pyramid of taped straws.

“I’m going to suspend the egg at the top and let the triangular surface hit,” Rayl said. “Hopefully the energy will go around the egg and not into it.”

Chris Wasden, director of the school’s Sorenson Center for Discovery and Innovation, insulated his egg and wrapped straws into a ball.

“My plan is to create something kind of like a Mars rover lander, so it’ll be able to bounce and not break,” Wasden said.

Wasden, Rayl and two other students took turns dropping their contraptions from a 15-foot height in the lobby of the Spencer Fox Eccles building.

Rayl’s hopes — like his egg — were crushed.

“Unfortunately, it flipped upside down mid flight and squished the top of my egg,” Rayl said.

The remaining students attempted a 30-foot drop, which defeated all of the contenders.

Later in the day, Wasden participated in a virtual reality lounge and information session.

“VR is becoming a big thing in tech,” Wasden said. “We want students to be exposed to the newest and greatest technology.”

The lounge allowed students to try virtual reality devices and learn about possible business and academic applications.

The business school selected nine values, four of which reflect the school’s past and were celebrated during David Eccles week last fall. The remaining five are transformation, scholarship, innovation, community and entrepreneurship. The school also minted a gold coin with each value, and one will be given to every business student.

Last Friday’s theme was transformation, which featured a business career conference. On Feb. 22 faculty and students were awarded scholarships, and advising was provided for students seeking scholarships within the school.

Feb. 24 will be a community day with free food, games and the opportunity to network with alumni. The event will end on Feb. 25, celebrating entrepreneurship with more free food, a panel discussion and a chance for students to pitch startup ideas.

Sheena McFarland, a spokesperson for the business school, helped plan the events and said she hopes the message doesn’t get lost.

“I just hope that students take these values into consideration,” McFarland said, “as they’re making decisions here at school and in their careers as some lifelong guidance.”

Eccles School week events are open to students from all majors.

@mbatman72