Swim & Dive: Utes in sixth place at Pac-12 Championships, one day to go

Chris Samuels
Freshman Jordan Anderson competes in the 200 butterfly during a Pac-12 women’s swimming meet against the Washington State Cougars at the Ute Natatorium, Saturday, Feb., 13, 2016. (Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle)

After Day 3 of competition at the 2016 Pac-12 Championships, the Utah women’s swim team stands in sixth with 349 points, just behind UCLA. There were a total of five individual events, one relay and a platform diving event.

“I’m really proud of the team tonight,” said head coach Joe Dykstra in a press release. “We had a few rough sessions after the fantastic start Wednesday night, but we really rebounded tonight with some great performances and are in a solid sixth place with one day to go.”

To start off the night, freshman Jordan Anderson made it back to A-finals in the 400-yard IM. Not only did she place seventh, she also broke the school record with a time of 4:12.31, setting a personal record as well. Teammates junior Brianna Francis (4:17.74) and sophomore Isabella Kearns (4:18.41) also qualified for finals in this event, placing 17th and 19th, respectively.

In the 100-yard butterfly, Utah managed to take three swimmers to the finals. Jenna Marsh placed 13th in B-finals with a 53.82, while her teammates senior Petra Soininen (55.06) and freshman Darby Wayner (55.47) placed in C-finals, battling it out for 22nd and 24th, respectively.

Freshman Genevieve Robertson placed high in the B-finals during the 100-yard breaststroke, taking ninth with a time of 1:01.29. Julienne Tadena also swam the breaststroke, making it back in C-finals, placing 22nd (1:03.70).

In the last individual event of the night, Utah had only one qualifier in the 100-yard backstroke. Sophomore Megan Kawaguchi managed to out-touch ASU’s Ingibjorg Jonsdottirin in a close race, touching in 15th with a time of 53.71.

For the last event of the evening, the team of Kawaguchi, Robertson, Marsh and sophomore Dorien Butter finished sixth in the 400-yard medley relay, hitting a 3:37.42.

In men’s diving, senior Jacob Crayne competed in the men’s platform, placing fifth with a score of 357.45, marking the second-highest total points in program history.

Saturday’s session will begin at 11 a.m., starting with the 200-yard backstroke. This will be the fourth and final day of the women’s Pac-12 Championship meet.

@emileewhiteee