Five Ways to Productively Procrastinate Studying for Midterms

Students study in the Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building on Monday, Nov. 9, 2015

Midterms always seem to descend when we least expect them.

We’ve just been going about our daily routine and, without realizing it, we’ve made it halfway through the semester. Instead of being rewarded for making it halfway, we get tests and projects left and right before Spring Break. If you want to take a much-needed breather from all this homework, here are five things to do other than study for midterms.

Get a little inspiration from nature

Visitors walk along a path at Red Butte Gardens, Saturday, August 28, 2015.

Take advantage of this springy March weather and take a stroll in the hills or just around the block. This is great way to treat yourself to some air and exercise. You can walk for miles and never make it back to do those midterms.

Try out a new restaurant or coffee shop

Salt Lake is a growing cultural hub, with hip new restaurants and coffee shops springing up seemingly every day. Look around the next time you’re walking around the city or do a Google search to find somewhere you’ve never been. Get out of your comfort zone and treat yourself to some great food and drink, minus the homework.

Start a new show on Netflix

I admit — this is a dangerous suggestion. However, if you space it out just right, a TV show can be the best way to take breaks. Or, if you just want to procrastinate to the fullest extent, then bingeing a new TV show is the perfect way to accomplish your goal.

Read a book that isn’t for class

We often find ourselves swamped with reading throughout the semester. Because of this, reading in general can seem like a huge chore. This is a shame, because reading for pleasure is a great way to relax, inspire your imagination and procrastinate. Instead of reading those textbook chapters, head to the library or bookstore and find a book you actually want to read.

Try a new recipe

Midterms is the perfect time for some procrastination cooking. Some recipes can take up to a few hours to complete so it will give you plenty of time to not study. Grab a couple friends to help you or attempt a recipe on your own — either way it will give you a sense of satisfaction and a full belly, provided you don’t screw it up too badly.