Wienerschnitzel Offers Discount In An Effort To Attract Student Customers

%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

In a move that will send tremors through the less-fashionable spectrum of fast food markets, Wienerschnitzel restaurant is now offering a 20 percent discount to U students.

Wienerschnitzel, known for their hot dogs, corn dogs, chili dogs and, of course, triple cheese double bacon chili cheese dogs, has five locations in the Salt Lake Valley. The chain joins other franchises such as McDonald’s, Chipotle, Arby’s and Subway in offering discounts or free items to students with a valid school ID.

Wienerschnitzel’s discount applies to a meal of a chili dog, a chili cheese dog and a Freezee, taking the price from $7.53 to $6.02, giving students an extra dollar and a half to spend elsewhere. Sausage enthusiasts can also join the Wiener Lovers’ Club for a free hot dog, a free birthday meal and other undoubtedly wiener-related promotions.

Bratwurst buffs will know the chain does not have Germanic origins and actually began in southern California in 1961 with a single store that developed the self-proclaimed “world’s most wanted wiener.” It does not serve any actual Wiener Schnitzel, a breaded veal cutlet.

Wendi Whittaker, a junior in nursing, has never eaten at Wienerschnitzel and states the discount is not sufficient incentive for her to eat there.

“Ground-up meat stuck in a tube doesn’t sound that appealing to me,” Whittaker said while eating at the Union food court.

Whittaker cooks for her entire family and says shopping “with intention,” or planning meals in advance, helps cut down on costs. Cooking bulk meals for family or roommates can help make shopping easier, she said. Whittaker also found shopping at a grocery co-op, a store managed by the consumers and community, could help students find reduced prices.

Michael Allen, a sophomore in materials science, eats as frugally as possible and often at campus food trucks because of convenience and low cost. Allen seeks out student discounts whenever possible, but isn’t sure if he’ll take advantage of the Wienerschnitzel discount because the nearest location is almost four miles from the U.

“Finding cheap food is pretty important,” Allen said. “Go for high quantity and low cost.”

Waiming Tai, a doctorate student in computer science, doesn’t try to find cheap food, and pursues food at any cost if it’s appealing. Tai’s frank assessment of the promotion is that the discount does not make the sausages worth consuming.

“Food prices are fair here, so I just eat what I want,” Tai said. “Eating well is more important than cost.”

@mbatman72