Five Books to Read Over Spring Break for Escape and Adventure

Books on shelves inside the S.J. Quinney College of Law Building on campus on Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2015

Now that Spring Break is just around the corner and there is finally some time to read for fun, you might find yourself at a standstill over what to actually read. With so many genres and so many authors to choose from, it can be overwhelming.

Luckily, with all the time not spent in class, there’s plenty of room to fit multiple fun, quick reads into your schedule over the break. Here are some great books, all of which are available at the U’s Marriott Library, to start in on instead of getting caught up on homework.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

This book follows Libby Day, whose entire family was murdered when she was seven years old. Who killed them? Why was her older brother the main suspect? Why was only she left alive? This murder mystery features flashbacks, a secret society and a mission to figure out who really killed Libby’s family.

Anyone who’s read or seen the movie adaptation of Gone Girl, another one of Flynn’s novels, will love this book just as much or perhaps more.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

A young boy’s father is killed in the terrorist attacks on 9/11. Then he finds a secret key in his father’s closet, leading him on a mission to discover the lock.

This novel is the perfect feel-good story that makes you think and is one of the only books I’ve kept from my high school English classes.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Out of all the books on this list, The Girl on the Train is perhaps the quickest read. It tells the story of Rachel Watson, a 32-year-old unemployed alcoholic, through the events following her divorce. Quick and easy to read, this novel is full of unexpected twists and turns, including murder, that will leave you hanging on until the very end.

Private L.A. by James Patterson

James Patterson is an enduring favorite for many, and really anything by him would make a great read for Spring Break. But if you have to choose, Private L.A. is probably your best bet. This book follows a private investigator firm that deals with the dirty and wealthy. Looked down on by the local police force, they remain highly sought after when the cases get too hard to crack.

If you find yourself craving another great thriller, just pick any other Patterson book when you’re done.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

If you haven’t had the chance to read Pride and Prejudice, do yourself a favor and pick this up over the break. Following Elizabeth Bennet and her four sisters, this classic tale of first impressions, class difference and, of course, romance, is a perfect way to wrap up your reading for the break.

When you finish reveling in the wit and irony of Austen’s world, you can go watch one of the hundred or so adaptations of the tale, including the new “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” to see how they measure up to the original.