Spring Break Staycations: Something for Everyone in Davis

It’s that time of year again when the majority of conversations revolve around everyone’s spring break plans. Too often students ashamedly admit that they’re just staying home for the break.

This shame is especially prominent when those students’ homes are in the decidedly unexcotic Davis County. Cities such as Farmington, Centerville and Bountiful have a bad reputation for being dull and lifeless. However, there’s actually a lot to do up north.

The first city to check out in Davis County is Bountiful. This small city has something for everyone. For the more nature-loving folk, there are plenty of trails in Millcreek canyon around the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ Bountiful Temple. This area also has sites for picnics and campfires — perfect for a fun nighttime outdoors adventure without too much exercise.

There are also places for four-wheeling and motocross, most notably up by the landmark “B” on the mountain. Other outdoor activities include the fairly easy hike toward Elephant Rock or golfing at the Lakeside Golf Course.

davis 2

Bountiful is also home to the South Davis Recreational Center, just off of 400 North, connected with the newly renovated Bountiful Park and playground. The rec center pools include a lap pool and indoor and outdoor children’s areas. Aside from swimming, you can also play basketball, ice skate, boulder or attend exercise classes at the fully equipped gym upstairs.

One of the best parts of Bountiful is all the small, family-owned local businesses, especially restaurants. One of the most signature places is Pace’s Dairy-Ann on 500 West, a small burger and ice cream joint similar to Dairy Queen. Be sure to get one of their signature “rainbows” — they’re the best “float”-type dessert you’ll ever taste.

The next stop on the journey is the little-known city Centerville. Most people only know this city by its In-N-Out sign, flickering just past the interstate exit.

While this chain restaurant is undeniably one of Centerville’s claims to fame, this city has much more to offer. Its Parrish Lane is burgeoning with fast food places, such as Beans & Brews, Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt, Tonyburgers, Sonic and one of the most successful Dairy Queens in the nation. They also boast a brand-new Megaplex movie theater, a great location for a night out.

For those who prefer live theater to the big screen, Centerville recently constructed the CenterPoint Legacy Theater. For the duration of Spring Break, they are performing “The Crucible” in their Leishman Hall black box and “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast” on their musical main stage.

If you prefer to be outdoors, Centerville also has several places for hiking, camping or fourwheeling. One of the best locales for these activities starts at the top of Pages Lane, a short and easy hike that leads to a beautiful waterfall.

After Centerville comes Farmington, home to the historic Lagoon Amusement park. Unfortunately, Lagoon doesn’t open until March 26, but the city recently sprouted the Station Park outlet malls, which hold clothing stores, restaurants and department stores for whatever shopping needs you may have.

As Farmington was originally an agricultural community, there are also many outdoor activities throughout the city. Swimming in Farmington Pond is the perfect warm-weather activity and is great fun with a diving dock, picnic tables and a rope swing. For more strenuous activity, the Adam’s Canyon hike to the waterfall is a great exercise for a free morning, ending in a powerful waterfall tucked into a rocky mountain crevice. Though the hike is long, it is not very strenuous, and hikers of all ages immensely enjoy the view.