Lassonde Institute Hopes To Give Students The Chance To “Live Creatively” In New Building

0
6
Construction of the Lassonde Studios at the U in Salt Lake City, Utah, Thursday, October 1, 2015.

The Lassonde Studios will offer U students a chance to live creatively — inside a personal pod.

Students can move into the “garage,” a 20,000-square-foot building, on Aug. 18. Focused on those interested in entrepreneurship or innovation, personalized pods inside the studios will offer an all-encompassing learning experience.

“The space seems like it will have a high potential for breakthroughs and a community of impressive creations,” said Emilia Szubzda, a student in the Entrepreneurship Certificate Program. “A variety of minds can come together to really create something amazing here — kind of like a petri-dish for ideas.”

Architecturally designed by EDA Architects, Cannon Design and ARUP, the studios will focus on environmental sustainability and flexibility of use. Students will live among a community of inventors, founders and creators to work on making an impact on the world.

“We have worked hard to create a space for all students that is as extraordinary and innovative as the projects we imagine they will be working on inside the building,” said Thad Kelling, Lassonde Institute spokesperson.

The type of room students can live in varies: single, double, loft or personal pod, and there are four themed floors: games and digital media; sustainability and global impact; products, design and arts; and adventure and gear.

“We can’t wait to see what the students develop and what projects they pursue,” Kelling said.

Although the building is not open for use until early Fall Semester, it will be available for tours this summer at a date still to be determined.

k.buda@dailyutahchronicle.com

@katie_buda

Katie Buda
Katie is the assistant news editor of The Daily Utah Chronicle. Before that, she covered business and student start-ups. She is pursuing a degree in Finance with honors. Katie is a native of the Detroit area and is currently an intern at Automotive News.