Senior Swimmer Kron Uses Fifth Year To Fill Void At Quarterback On Football Team

, University of Utah Swim team vs. BYU December 1, 2012 in Salt Lake City. (Photo/Steve C. Wilson)

As the men’s swimming team’s season comes to a close, most of the seniors have plans to graduate in May. But for those who will be sticking around for another year, they have the opportunity to participate in any other sport they desire, except for swim. This is called the five-year clock, where a student can compete four years in one sport out of the five total years a student is eligible to play for any NCAA-sponsored athletic team.

Some have decided to use this fifth year to just continue training with the swim team, without competing or participating in any team functions. But Swedish senior Kristian Kron has something different in mind.

“I saw this opportunity open up,” Kron said. “I just decided to explore my hidden talent.”

Kron, who broke the Swedish record in the 800-meter freestyle (7:49.82) and was a part of the relay team that broke the 800-meter freestyle relay record (7:07.49), has decided to try out for the open starting quarterback position on the Utah football team. With the loss of seniors Travis Wilson and Kendal Thompson, Kron has high hopes.

“I feel like I can take this team to the next level,” Kron said. “Most people don’t know this about me, but I have a cannon for an arm.”

Standing at 6-foot-4 and weighing in at 220 pounds, Kron is the perfect height and build for this position. His height gives him the advantage of seeing over the offensive line, and his weight allows him to withstand big hits from oncoming blitz.

Growing up in Sweden helped him prepare for the physicality that comes with playing football, despite being a swimmer for much of his life.

“I’m a pretty tough guy,” Kron said. “Back in Sweden, I played a little bit of rugby before my swimming career, and I realized how much I enjoyed contact sports. It’s not like it is a problem for me anyways, considering I can’t be taken down.”

In the pocket, Kron has the ability to make at least 70 percent of his throws, something Ute fans would welcome with open arms. He has a quick release, throws a beautiful ball downfield and can put his passes quickly into his receiver’s hands.

Outside of the pocket, he can throw fairly well on the run, withstanding pressure. And if he needs to tuck the ball, Kron managed to transfer his impeccable speed in the water to land, hitting 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

“Like I mentioned before, I have a cannon for an arm,” Kron said. “That’s all you need to know … I just have that speed that most quarterbacks don’t have. I can out-run defenders and I’m also big enough to truck defenders.”

Much has been made of the quarterback battle during Utah’s recent spring practice with the additions of JUCO transfer Troy Williams, returnee Brandon Cox and true freshman Tyler Huntley. All have been given the opportunity to earn the starting job equally thus far this spring by head coach Kyle Whittingham, and he plans on giving Kron that same opportunity.

“Look, we lost Travis and are open to just about anything right now,” Whittingham said. “If Kron is as good as he says he is, then we’ll put the rest of the league on notice.”

Stop by the Eccles Football Center to get a sneak-peak at the new quarterback, and watch Kron and his team prepare for the upcoming 2016-2017 season.

@emileewhiteee

April Fools (1)