Women’s swim & dive: Utah finishes 2016 season at NCAA Championships

Chris Samuels
Freshman Jordan Anderson competes in the 200 butterfly during a Pac-12 women’s swimming meet against the Washington State Cougars at the Ute Natatorium, Saturday, Feb., 13, 2016. (Chris Samuels, Daily Utah Chronicle)

Last week, two Utah swimmers and one diver headed to McAuley Aquatic Center in Atlanta, Ga. to compete in the 2016 women’s NCAA Championships (Mar. 17-19). The end of the women’s 2015-2016 season came with the conclusion of the meet.

“It was an okay meet,” said head coach Joe Dykstra. “We got some people competing for the first time and some having been their third time competing at this meet. Stina [Colleou] was solid this meet, having come off of some injuries from this winter, but overall, it was a pretty solid meet for all three girls.”

On the first day of competition, junior Colleou and freshman Genevieve Robertson swam the 100-yard breaststroke. Though neither of them managed to qualify for finals, Colleou finished 41st with a 1:01.31 as Robertson followed behind in 47th (1:01.78).

In diving, junior Amanda Casillas was the only diver from her team to qualify for this meet. In her first appearance at the NCAAs, Casillas finished 44th with a score of 261.50 in the three-meter event.

On their last day of competition, Colleou and Robertson swam together again, only this time in the 200-yard breaststroke. As they battled it out in the pool, Colleou (2:10.36) snagged 25th while Robertson touched in at a 2:11.79, placing 34th.

“The men’s group is a little more experienced, so we are hoping for some good things,” Dykstra said. “Hopefully, a repeat performance of what Bence [Király] was able to do last year and maybe be able to rank in the top eight in the mile like he did last year. As for the divers, we are hopeful that they will earn All-American status as well.”

Up next, senior Bence Király, along with divers senior Jacob Crayne and junior Josiah Purss, will head to Atlanta to compete at the men’s NCAA Championships on Thursday.

@emileewhiteee