“Stories from Uganda” Exhibit Showcases Struggle And Strength Of Women

Uganda Gallery at the Union, Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016, Peter Creveling Utah Chronicle

Nothing adds power to celebrating women quite like sharing inspirational stories of feminine triumph in the face of struggle.

That inspiration is exactly what comes from the Stories from Uganda Exhibit currently on display in the Union Corridor this week, as a part of the Women’s Week Celebration.

The exhibit was collected and reported by John Shavers, founder and director of Interethnic Health Alliance, a small nonprofit volunteer organization based out of Salt Lake City. In the Union, the display is labeled as “Women’s Stories: The Impact of a Small Microloan.” Shavers was part of a humanitarian aid project in which money was raised and loaned to women’s groups in Uganda, to be used for whatever purpose the women felt their community needed most.

All along the bulletin board are photographs of women who received the loans. Alongside each photo is a description of the service each woman, most of them single mothers, performed with her portion of the loans.

One of the women is Joyce Achipa, who is one of the best examples of selfless service within this project. Her biography plaque within the display describes her as “a mother of 11, a schoolteacher, and a member of the Kawapa Micro Loan Group.” Along with the rest of her loan group, Achipa founded the Gird Child Room, a school program in which the women teach young children about their bodies, and provide a safe space for them to learn and ask questions.

Achipa also hopes to use the profits of the loan in the future to establish a catering service to provide jobs and business experience for the women in her area.

Another project facilitated by the loan program is the Sosoly Women’s Group. Led by Margaret Nagawa, the group provides funds to their neighbors to cover anything from funeral expenses to transportation. Nagawa stated that she was “grateful that the micro loan provided her the means to pay off her school loans, and provide solutions for her community.”

This exhibit displays the service that each of these women has provided to her community, by telling their stories, as well as showing them in action through photography. Mindy Johnston, who designed the display, had a noble vision in mind: to praise the impressive feminine influence in Uganda. Her design reflected that idea marvelously.

Whether they are teachers, merchants, managers or lenders, this exhibit showcases the strength and kindness of women all over the world. If you wish to be inspired, or simply just feel like celebrating amazing women, go have a look at this exhibit, visiting in the Union for the week.