Football: Sans Booker, Williams And McCormick Battle For Playing Time At RB

With Devontae Booker out of the picture, this Utah squad that relied heavily on the run game will need to find a replacement who can do an adequate job of leading the way for the Utes in 2016.

During last season, head coach Kyle Whittingham continuously repeated that Joe Williams was the heir apparent to Booker. Williams even had a few of his own moments to shine when Booker was sidelined due to an injury.

While he performed decently enough, there were still a few concerns, one being ball security. Williams fumbled the ball a few times when he was given the starting job, and although none resulted in a turnover, it still raised concerns.

Luckily for the Utes, he has been working to remedy that situation. This spring he is working on improving his overall game. He wants to do a more efficient job of carrying the ball, is working on his pass blocking — something Booker did not receive enough credit for, according to Whittingham — and catching the ball out of the backfield.

“I’m just getting after it in the weight room and film study and then out here on the practice field, doing everything I can every day to get better,” Williams said.

There is no better motivator than having someone behind his back, gunning for the same job.

Early last spring, Troy McCormick was listed as the No. 2 running back, right behind Booker. He then suffered a knee injury and was forced to sit out for the entire 2015 season. He has been working on getting back in shape and thinks things are going pretty smoothly.

More than anything, he is just happy to be back on the field playing football, taking hits and competing. When the helmet is strapped on, he pretty much forgets about the injury.

“I don’t really worry about myself,” McCormick said. “I haven’t played in a year, and I’m blessed to be here. Just trying to get my feet back. I wouldn’t say after my injury I was too worried about any cutting or anything. I’m probably being reckless, but I’m giving it my all.”

Aside from working on what he can do to show the coaches he is ready to take the field in the fall, McCormick is more concerned with how the team is doing as a whole. Although the offense struggled a bit to get anything going against the defense during Tuesday’s practice, both he and Williams feel that the offense is making steady progress and it is only a matter of time before it can be a real threat.

“The defense had our number, but other than that, we did some good work, and it was a good day,” Williams said. “As a team we are trying to set the mentality straight and learn the offense.”

With a competition brewing between these two running backs, it’s a healthy one that only pushes each to perform at a higher level. The two even live in the same apartment complex, so they consider themselves good friends off the field, and no matter who is awarded the starting title, they will throw all their support behind that person.

When Williams is on the field, McCormick looks for things that his teammate might not see and vice versa. The two are constantly exchanging tips. When it comes down to it, Williams knows it’s not really about competing with each other, it’s about competing with the defense, and McCormick could not agree more.

“You got to have that competition,” McCormick said. “That makes the team better at every position, and we have a lot fun with each other while competing.”

@kbrenneisen