Graduating Seniors Experience Whirlwind Of Emotion At Campus Store Grad Fair

The Campus Store took on an unusual air of excitement this weekend, as seniors gathered on the second floor to collect what they need for commencement.

Vreni Romang, graduating in communication, summed up the feeling of many seniors: “I’m ready to move on to the next phase.”

The Grad Fair, a three-day event where students can purchase regalia, class rings, announcements and a frame to display their diplomas, was held March 31 through April 2. The seniors and super-seniors who attended left their mark on a six-foot-tall block U, which, by the end of Grad Fair, turned into an amalgam of red and black signatures and doodles.

grad fair 2

Among the items students purchased were gowns, which were different from previous years. This year, bachelor and master graduation gowns will feature a red block U on the sleeve.

Seniors were encouraged to purchase a stole of gratitude, which they can present to someone who helped them recognize their college dreams, whether financially, emotionally or academically, to show appreciation. Many of the students who attended the event, like Romang, were unaware of the purpose of the stoles or that they were even available.

“I didn’t know what it was, but [Campus Store employees] said 90 percent of people wear it, so I got one,” said Derek Olsen, graduating in human development and family studies. “I’m a sheeple.”

Students planning to send out graduation announcements to friends and family could either order through University Print and Mail Services or Jostens. At the fair, the Campus Store also provided a variety of options for graduation souvenirs and gifts, from alumni bumper stickers to wine glasses with the U’s medallion logo etched on them. These gifts are also available online in the Red Zone’s grad shop.

The U’s Alumni Association attended the event to recruit members from the new graduating class. Career Services was also present, hoping to help students who are worried about finding a job after graduation.

Some students have already began looking for jobs but are struggling to find an employer. Romang, who has been looking since January, said although she’s submitted applications, it’s been difficult to find a position that fits her qualifications.

Other graduating students are still uncertain of what they’re going to do with their degree. Olsen said, “I’m really not sure what I’m doing after graduation, but I guess it’s time to figure it out.”

@emilyinorgandy