Football: Whittingham Wants To See More “Focus,” Talks Battle For RB

The Utah football team is in its second to last week of spring camp and is continuing its preparations for the Red-White scrimmage next weekend. Later this week, the team will have another scrimmage and it will be similar to that of this past Saturday, but head coach Kyle Whittingham needs to see a few things change.

With the slow start the offense got off to, he needs it to be focused and ready early on, but at the same time, needs the defense to remain on its toes and not take anything for granted. The defense failed to come away with any takeaways over the weekend so what Whittingham needs overall is a better effort from the entire team.

“We got to be sharp, both sides of the ball,” Whittingham said.

The coaches are keeping their eyes on a few groups, including linebackers, wide receivers and quarterbacks, areas where the team is lacking because former Utah players have graduated. Whittingham likes what he is getting out of receivers Tyrone Smith and Kyle Fulks, but is eager to see what the rest of the guys are made of and what they can do in these upcoming weeks.

Caleb Repp had a nice showing in Saturday’s scrimmage, but in Tuesday’s practice failed to replicate that performance so Whittingham is expecting plenty more ups and downs.

Battle for starting running back

Although it may have looked like Joe Williams had the starting job all wrapped up after filling in for an injured Devontae Booker late last season, Troy McCormick isn’t trailing too far behind. In fact, Whittingham thinks the two are pretty even and that McCormick is making Williams really earn that title.

The two have mentioned before that it is more of a friendly competition, but only one will get that starting job and while Williams holds the first slot in the most recent depth chart, people should not be surprised if at any point this spring, or even in the fall, McCormick leapfrogs him.

McCormick sat out all of last season because of his own injury, but it has not seemed to hamper him in any way. This spring he is giving it his all to prove his worth to the entire coaching staff.

“Troy McCormick, it’s great to have him back,” Whittingham said. “He’s doing a nice job and he’s actually neck-and-neck with Joe Williams. He’s pushing for that starting job.”

Recent NCAA announcements

Last Friday, the NCAA voted to ban the use of satellite camps, something that directly affects the Utah football program.

With the amount of out-of-state talent the Utes tend to reach out to, satellite camps have played a vital role in the recruitment process. Whittingham is aware that it is not always financially feasible for one person to make several plane trips to potential schools and it’s because of this that he does not agree with the decision. He thinks it is a bit of a senseless move by the NCAA and he’s not the only one.

Prominent head coaches, including Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh, are in opposition to the ruling. Not only is Utah going to suffer a big hit, but Whittingham thinks it has a negative effect on the lower-star recruits and their chances of playing at the collegiate level.

“I don’t think that’s a good rule,” Whittingham said. “It hurts the kids — the players. Cuts down on the amount of exposure they get. It’s all about the players. It’s those guys who are under the radar and not at the forefront who are going to suffer because coaches are not going to be able to travel and come to them.”

The NCAA also just announced that it would put a hold on adding new bowl games for the next three years. While this does not directly have an effect on Utah, Whittingham is in favor of this, considering that teams with a losing record were able to participate in postseason play last season.

“I don’t know if that was just an anomaly last year and the way that records ended up, but I know that it’s tough to say that 5-7 teams should go to bowl game,” Whittingham said.

@kbrenneisen